Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Grisette - Saison's Urban Cousin  (Read 2542 times)

Offline jjpeanasky

• Cellarman
  • WI native, IA captive
Grisette - Saison's Urban Cousin
« on: June 06, 2017, 07:52:21 pm »
I first heard about this style on Basic Brewing Radio, and read about it in depth on Hors Categorie Brewery. Originally brewed for the miners in Belgium, it could be called Saison's Urban Cousin. Light, refreshing, and well, Belgian. Here's my bastardized version that came out pretty good, although simple.

Batch size: 5 gal
OG: 1.041
FG: 1.006
ABV: 5%

Fermentables:
- 4.5lb Vienna
- 1lb Wheat malt
- 8 oz Flaked Wheat

Hops:
- 0.8oz Santiam; 60 min; 18.7 IBU
- 1oz Santiam; 15 min; 11.6 IBU
- 1oz Santiam; Flameout

Yeast:
- WLP565 Belgian Saison I, no airlock, just foil during primary fermentation

Single infusion mash @ 152 for 60 min.
Fermented at 72F.

Tasting Notes: Mild noble-ish hop aroma, balanced bitterness. Thin body (need to work on this) but a relatively crisp mouthfeel. Belgian-y yeast goodness, but not over the top. Kind of like a session saison, but 5%. Still a bit young in the keg, a bit (okay, a lot) cloudy right now.

- Josh P

« Last Edit: June 07, 2017, 03:28:27 am by jjpeanasky »

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
Re: Grisette - Saison's Urban Cousin
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2017, 11:16:42 pm »
I don't think thin body is wrong for this style but like any really dry style you want to avoid that thin but kinda flabby, watery body. You should have enough protein from the wheat and tannins from the hops not to have a problem with the recipe. You might try turning up the carbonation to help with a crisper body. Most beers this dry are carbonated at 3+ volumes.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline jjpeanasky

• Cellarman
  • WI native, IA captive
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2017, 03:31:17 am »
I don't think thin body is wrong for this style but like any really dry style you want to avoid that thin but kinda flabby, watery body. You should have enough protein from the wheat and tannins from the hops not to have a problem with the recipe. You might try turning up the carbonation to help with a crisper body. Most beers this dry are carbonated at 3+ volumes.

Yeah, you're probably right. I'm not in a rush to drink this one, so as of this picture it's not fully carbed, so maybe the extra carbonation will help out.

Offline OTIST

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2017, 03:43:25 pm »
I'm intrigued by the use of Vienna as the base malt.

Offline jjpeanasky

• Cellarman
  • WI native, IA captive
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2017, 06:43:51 pm »
I'm intrigued by the use of Vienna as the base malt.
Heh, yeah. I happened to have a bunch of Vienna, and I liked it as the base malt in a saison I did. So I threw it in there to help give it a bit of malt character. I've got some things to work on with it though, I'm excited to keep it going this summer.

- Josh P