Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Competition Rauchbier  (Read 1230 times)

Offline JFMBearcat

• Cellarman
Competition Rauchbier
« on: June 14, 2017, 10:06:05 am »
Hi all, I compete only once a year and I like entering styles I have never won a medal in. Last year I brewed my first rauchbier and it turned out great. I have the grain bill mixed and ready for a brew next week and I'd like to enter it in our local competition this year.

My grain bill is basically 50/50 split of Weyerman smoked malt and about an even mix of vienna/pils/munich. I'm starting to wonder how a rauchbier will do in competition when it's only 50% smoked malt? Do rauchbiers need to be close to 100% smoked malt to do well in competition? I am ok with re-buying the grain if you all think so. Thanks and cheers!
James Miller
Cincinnati OH
Bloatarian Brewing League
BJCP B1408

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
Re: Competition Rauchbier
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2017, 11:49:11 am »
I can say from lots of experience that "it depends on the judge and what order your beer is in the queue."  Personally, I find half smoked malt in a traditional rauchbier too smokey to win competitions, but a different competition on a different day may change everything.  Don't be disappointed enough not to enter it more than once.  I had one in a competition that said, "seriously misses style" and then take a best of show in the very next competition.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2017, 12:05:41 pm »
I also think a lot of it can tend to be based on the age of the rauch malt you are using. Fresher batches tend towards more depth of smoke character while older batches can fade in aroma and flavor.

Offline zwiller

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2017, 01:10:57 pm »
Not a rauchbier fan but I have a buddy that has taken some medals with his and he believes the key it to smoke yer own.  No idea about percentages but I guess 10-20%. 
Sam
Sandusky, OH

Offline santoch

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Riverview, FL
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2017, 08:24:22 pm »
I also think a lot of it can tend to be based on the age of the rauch malt you are using. Fresher batches tend towards more depth of smoke character while older batches can fade in aroma and flavor.

All good advice above, but especially this ^^^
Looking for a club near my new house
BJCP GM3/Mead Judge