Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: What's the deal with BYO magazine?  (Read 2369 times)

Offline Bitter Alchemist

• 1st Kit
What's the deal with BYO magazine?
« on: June 07, 2017, 05:31:56 pm »
About one year ago, I signed up for a "free trial" of BYO magazine.  I received one addition and decided I did not want to subscribe. I already receive Zymurgy and that is currently enough for me at this time.

Every few months I received a letter asking me to subscribe for $29.99. I didn't respond because I didn't want to subscribe.

Today I received a pretty nasty letter from Brad Ring (the publisher) stating that my account is "delinquent" and that I need to stop wasting his people's time. Further it states that I need "to do my part" and send him $29.99.

Is this a scam?  It's not like they've been sending me the magazine for a year and I didn't pay. I only received one copy which I assumed was the "free trial" addition.  I tried to upload a picture of the letter but it's not allowing me to do so.

Offline hannabrew

• Cellarman
Re: What's the deal with BYO magazine?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2017, 08:43:59 pm »
Dude, you owe him.  Pay up!

That's crazy...even if you did owe that's no way to handle it.  I enjoyed the magazine and actually just signed up for it through a group buy in my homebrew club....hopefully this isn't the norm!

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Offline drewer02

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2017, 01:31:50 am »
Have you gone through any procedure of unsubscribing? It sounds like you are still subscribing

Offline GALARDY

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2017, 05:26:42 am »
Auto renewal - and you didn't realize it? These free trials often get you like that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2017, 07:44:45 am »
The normal BYO offer is for one free trial and it automatically starts a year subscription unless you write then to cancel after the first issue. My understanding is that they would continue sending issues to you. If you only received one issue then you have no responsibility to pay for more.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline Kochhandwerk

• Cellarman
    • koch.technology
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2017, 09:10:55 am »
I definitely don't want to subscribe to BYO after hearing about that. It sounds like they're in dire straits financially and he's lashing out at people he perceives as being responsible for that.

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2017, 11:39:14 am »
Just being the Devil's Advocate here.  I've had a subscription to BYO for more years than I can remember and haven't ever had a problem with them.  I have seen the same thing with other "Free" trials though.  Typically, it's the first free issue is the start of our subscription.  It sounds like they held any additional issues until they received payment or notice of cancellation.  the step they left out, apparently is the automatic drop rule after X# of months.

It is unfortunate to see them handle your situation that way but it can probably be cleared up with a phone call or an email.

YMMV/IMHO/Package contents may settle during shipment.   :)

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2017, 11:41:51 am »
It's been years since I was a subscriber, but I was for many many years with no problems.  At one point, I had received two subscriptions for Christmas and they were sending me two copies of the mag.  I called and they changed it to a two year subscription with no hassle.

I'd give them the benefit of the doubt.  But I also haven't seen the letter.

IME BYO is a solid magazine.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline macbrews

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2017, 12:14:39 pm »
That's the standard MO of most all magazines.  I have never had a problem with them. It's a good source of the latest fads and reviews of the basics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline waltsmalt

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2017, 08:41:08 pm »
Never had a problem with them either.  Sorry to hear this has happened.  I've been a subscriber for over 10 years and still enjoy what it has to offer.

Offline MountSwolympus

• 1st Kit
  • Beers & Barbells
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2017, 05:55:19 pm »
I got something like this from Outside magazine when I let my subscription lapse. After about a year of monthly pleadings to resubscribe, I got a pseudo-collections letter from them that I also tossed in the recycling.

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2017, 11:31:43 am »
I definitely don't want to subscribe to BYO after hearing about that. It sounds like they're in dire straits financially and he's lashing out at people he perceives as being responsible for that.

I hope not. I'm still waiting to get paid for an article they published almost seven weeks ago; it's never taken this long before.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2017, 12:18:38 pm »

I hope not. I'm still waiting to get paid for an article they published almost seven weeks ago; it's never taken this long before.

I wouldn't worry about it.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2017, 10:29:41 am »
I wouldn't worry about it.

I'm not ... yet.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women