Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Super Agata Capper Question  (Read 1663 times)

Offline Lazy Ant Brewing

• Brewmaster
Super Agata Capper Question
« on: June 08, 2017, 08:30:04 am »
I bought one and tried it out on a few bottles.  It doesn't seem like it crimps the caps very tight compared to a wing capper or commercially bottled beers, but the bottles did hold liquid (water) when inverted,  It seems like you barely have to but a opener on the cap and it's off.

Thanks in advance for your comments and experience.
It's easier to get information from the forum than to sacrifice virgins to appease the brewing gods when bad beer happens!

Offline flars

• Assistant Brewer
Re: Super Agata Capper Question
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2017, 10:27:11 am »
One of the possible problems may be the height adjustment is off.  Does the gap under the handle and the capper body close when crimping a cap?  When this gap closes all the force exerted on the lever is transferred to the capper body instead of moving the bell further downward.  I use plastic discs under the bottle to raise them higher.  I have the older button height adjustment Agata.  Some bottles are just a little shorter than others.

Offline Lazy Ant Brewing

• Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2017, 10:38:54 am »
I called the store where I got it from.  They pulled a new one off their shelf and reported that they had problems also.  They said it was a new design and apparently not working as well as older models. 

They're sending me a return shipping label and are going to refund the purchase price.
It's easier to get information from the forum than to sacrifice virgins to appease the brewing gods when bad beer happens!

Offline tommyb709

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2017, 07:08:38 pm »
i used a super agata for about two years, until the plastic piston that holds the capping bell broke.  i had noticed that some of the agata sealed bottles opened easily, and also had a few flat/bad bottles.
i looked for a replacement with a steel piston.  i got a g. francis professional bench beer bottle capper from amazon. 
i was pleasantly surprised that it seemed to make a much better cap seal than the super agata.  however, it is not as easy to deal with bottles of different sizes, requiring adjustment when the bottles differ.  after a few batches, i got used to the workflow, and now prefer the francis.

your mileage may vary...
in theory, theory is the same as practice, but not in practice.

Offline Philbrew

• Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2017, 08:51:22 pm »
I called the store where I got it from.  They pulled a new one off their shelf and reported that they had problems also.  They said it was a new design and apparently not working as well as older models. 

They're sending me a return shipping label and are going to refund the purchase price.
Now that's a good LHBS or online store.  I'd do business with them.
Many of us would be on a strict liquid diet if it weren't for pretzels.