Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Filtration Systems  (Read 2946 times)

Offline hopaddicted

• Assistant Brewer
Filtration Systems
« on: July 20, 2010, 07:16:02 am »
I'm new to kegging and was surprised to find filtration systems pretty reasonable priced.

How many people utilize filtration in their brewing process? Are you happy with the results?

I have been impressed with the clarity gain of lagering, not that my ales were bad either (always use a secondary).

I don't expect much of a gain, but for the fairly modest cost and potential flexibility of the system (may double it as a hpback as well) it makes sense to add to the arsenal eventually.

Appreciate opinions.
Primary: Lambic
Secondary: Oktoberfest, German Pilsner, Double IPA,
In Bottles: Lucknow IPA clone, Rough Rider Brown Ale clone,
John Harvard Imperial Stout clone, Hoppy Amber, Witch's Brew (Habanero and Smoked Corn Small Ale), Porter, Dunkleweizen, Dry Stout, Irish Red Ale, American Maple Wheat Ale, Black Wit, Belgian style Wit, Belgian Golden Strong Ale
Kegged: IPA, Saison, Hoppy Brown Ale

narvin

Re: Filtration Systems
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2010, 08:19:42 am »
Note that a hopback is designed to work with hot wort, and many filtration systems may not be rated for near-boiling wort.  You might be able to make a randall out of it, though.

Offline hopaddicted

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2010, 02:47:48 pm »
Understood.
John Harvard Imperial Stout clone, Hoppy Amber, Witch's Brew (Habanero and Smoked Corn Small Ale), Porter, Dunkleweizen, Dry Stout, Irish Red Ale, American Maple Wheat Ale, Black Wit, Belgian style Wit, Belgian Golden Strong Ale

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline The Professor

• Brewmaster
  • "In the next life, you're on your own"
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2010, 10:03:01 pm »

...How many people utilize filtration in their brewing process? Are you happy with the results?...

I filtered a couple of batches some years ago.  It was a hassle. 
If you're worried about starbright, clear beer, cold temperature and patience clears the beer just as well and tastes better (to me anyway).

But you should give it a spin and see if you have a different result than I did. 
Lots of folks filter their brews and love the end results. 
It just wasn't for me though.
AL
New Brunswick, NJ
[499.6, 101.2] Apparent Rennerian
Homebrewer since July 1971

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2010, 06:59:14 am »
Should be no need for you to filter your beer. I have looked into from time to time and like the Professor has said - it seems like a hassle.

Time will clear most any beer, but if you want super clear beer the important things are to 1) hit your pH so you get a good hot break, 2) chill fast so you get a good cold break 3) use a yeast strain that drops clear or use a fining technique such as gelatin - or time and cold temps - to drop the yeast.

Here's a picture of my kolsch. I never have a problem getting it to drop this clear after only two weeks of cold conditioning (sometimes I add a 1/3 tsp of gelatin disssolved in 170 degree water).

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2010, 09:44:33 am »
I filtered a couple of batches some years ago.  It was a hassle. 
If you're worried about starbright, clear beer, cold temperature and patience clears the beer just as well and tastes better (to me anyway).

But you should give it a spin and see if you have a different result than I did. 
Lots of folks filter their brews and love the end results. 
It just wasn't for me though.

Same experience here...more trouble than I felt it was worth.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2010, 09:57:28 am »
The only time I felt filtering beer was almost worth the hassle was so I could take a couple of uncarbonated kegs to a party.  I filtered them to get the chunks out so that when  I pressured up to 30 psi and shook them the beer wouldn't be totally cloudy.  Otherwise I let time, temp and gravity do all the work.
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico

Offline hopaddicted

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2010, 12:15:27 pm »
Appreciated all! As I said, I've had no problems with clarity, was just curious to see if anyone sore by it, which I am guessing is a silent minority, if any. The filtration system was a fallback for my other hopback designs, so I guess I'll start with them before resorting to the filtration method. I still haven't served my lagers or first keg, but I'll probably tinker down the road (didn't seem like much additional work) out of curiousity.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2010, 12:45:44 pm »
The only time I felt filtering beer was almost worth the hassle was so I could take a couple of uncarbonated kegs to a party.  I filtered them to get the chunks out so that when  I pressured up to 30 psi and shook them the beer wouldn't be totally cloudy.  Otherwise I let time, temp and gravity do all the work.

Still don't need to filter - I simply cut the end of the dip tube down 1/2 inch in the keg, let all the yeast settle for a week or two, and run off into a new keg. Sediment free beer no matter how much you shake it up!