General Category > Kegging and Bottling

keg & beer line cleaning

(1/2) > >>

rylo1984:
Hey all,

I'm new to the forums but have been browsing around and there is a lot of great information here...

I just kicked my first keg of homebrew and was wondering what is the best method and cleaner for cleaning the keg?

Also, what is the best method and chemical/cleaner for cleaning out the beer line, shank, and faucet?

Thanks!

/RyLO

a10t2:
For kegs/posts/lids/etc., I disassemble the keg, then soak everything in OxiClean for an hour or two, rinse well, reassemble, and sanitize.

For lines, I use BLC. I haven't found anything else that will pull all the crud out. Rinse very well afterward.

hopaddicted:
How much OxyClean do people use per gallon of water?

I had a couple of old kegs donated (amazing how much people are willing to give away if you give away homebrew!) and used BLC and it cleaned 5+ years of crud up like a champ.

denny:

--- Quote from: hopaddicted on July 24, 2010, 09:00:56 AM ---How much OxyClean do people use per gallon of water?
--- End quote ---

I use 2-3 heaping Tbsp. per keg.  Usually, I use PBW and do 1-2 Tbsp. per keg. 

rylo1984:
Thank you everyone for the information...

When using OxiClean or PBW for cleaning the keg, do you just let it soak overnight and do you have to fill the keg all the way with solution?

I don't have my next batch of beer ready to keg yet and was also wondering should I just rinse out the keg for now and do the soak overnight with OxiClean or PBW the day before I keg the next batch?  I'm assuming that would take care of the cleaning and the sanitizing needed?

Also, regarding the BLC for cleaning the beer lines -- do you recommend a hand pump to push the solution through, or just putting the solution in the keg and pushing it through with CO2 for several minutes?  Should I use the BLC to clean the inside of the shank and faucet as well, or only the line?

Thank you very much for the help!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version