Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Hop trellis  (Read 1214 times)

Offline USBrews

• 1st Kit
Hop trellis
« on: June 09, 2017, 08:01:56 am »
I'm not sure if this is the correct sub for my question.  I have had a few varieties of hops in the ground for a few weeks.  I was planning on building a trellis in a few more weeks, but the bines are really taking off, three feet long or so. 

They are obviously not producing cones yet.  Is there any harm letting them trail on the ground a while longer?

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
Re: Hop trellis
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2017, 09:37:18 am »
The longer you go the harder it will be. They won't get too big this year so build something cheep and easy like a pole with twine so they get full sun on the leaves and produce energy for the roots. Next spring or this fall build your permanent structures.
Also, one year I had to train bines that were already a few feet long onto new trellises and my arms got scratched up and I had a full blown allergic reaction with a trip to the urgent care clinic. Wear gloves and long sleeves!!!
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2017, 12:28:51 pm »
The longer you go the harder it will be. They won't get too big this year so build something cheep and easy like a pole with twine so they get full sun on the leaves and produce energy for the roots. Next spring or this fall build your permanent structures.
Also, one year I had to train bines that were already a few feet long onto new trellises and my arms got scratched up and I had a full blown allergic reaction with a trip to the urgent care clinic. Wear gloves and long sleeves!!!

So much this. I have to wear gloves and long sleeves when picking hops. Otherwise I'll be covered in really itchy red slashes. It's physically uncomfortable and uncomfortable in public.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline zwiller

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2017, 12:59:17 pm »
Most sources say cut all but 4-5 largest bines and then trim these 4-5 to 12" before training onto lines.  First year, they can sit on the ground longer but it increases the likelihood of diseases or pests.   I grew them a few years but threw the towel in when aphids arrived one year.  That being said, one year I had a pretty bountiful centennial harvest and these hops were heads and shoulders above LHBS hops but I would only do them for decorative purposes these days (and they rock for that!).  Good luck!
Sam
Sandusky, OH

Offline chinaski

• Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2017, 07:54:31 am »
I recommend either cutting back the existing bines to prevent downy mildew infection or elevate the bines in some temporary way (up a metal fence post?) to allow the bines to stay relatively dry.  Once infected with downy mildew; the plant stays infected and can be a source of spores to infect the rest of your plants.

Offline USBrews

• 1st Kit
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2017, 11:13:21 am »
Thanks,  all.   I'll get a temporary support up ASAP and wear protection.