Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Water testing  (Read 1808 times)

Offline turfgrass

• Cellarman
Water testing
« on: June 11, 2017, 06:26:46 am »
What are homebrewers using for testing there water and making adjustments?  Test kits.....

Offline 69franx

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Bloatarian Brewing League
Re: Water testing
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2017, 08:47:54 am »
Ward labs is frequently suggested. Fairly cheap and simple. You don't necessarily need their Brewers test, I think the one suggested is test 6

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2017, 02:48:56 pm »
There are certain test results that can be inaccurate from those home testing kits that some vendors are selling. So you can't rely totally on those kits, but they are decent checks on day to day quality variation if your water supply varies. Given that deficiency, I do recommend you obtain a high quality LAB test result for your water as a minimum. 
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2017, 02:55:23 pm »
Test W-6 from wardlab.com
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2017, 08:52:40 am »
Before you collect that sample from you tap and send it to a laboratory for analysis, ask yourself this:

What am I going use these data for?

To answer this question, you should prepare your data quality objectives.  This is an eight step process developed by EPA to ensure that your data are useable and adequate to achieve your intended result, e.g., that of brewing better beer.  Here is some guidance:

https://www.epa.gov/sites/production/files/documents/guidance_systematic_planning_dqo_process.pdf

After you complete your data quality objectives, you will likely want to complete a Quality Assurance Project Plan to guide the collection and analysis of your water quality sample.  Be sure to collect a duplicate and a blank.  May the Lord have mercy on your soul.

Offline zwiller

• Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2017, 09:20:40 am »
^LOL! 

Myself, I called and got the data from my muni but many find the data online.  I later bought an alkalinity test kit for aquariums to test now and then for seasonal change.  Strangely, I found no significant change.  Download Bru'n Water and read the water knowledge tab and get yer feet wet. 
Sam
Sandusky, OH

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2017, 09:46:38 am »

https://www.epa.gov/sites/production/files/documents/guidance_systematic_planning_dqo_process.pdf

After you complete your data quality objectives, you will likely want to complete a Quality Assurance Project Plan to guide the collection and analysis of your water quality sample.  Be sure to collect a duplicate and a blank. 

Chuckle! I have actually used that document for environmental studies in the past. While there are some good ideas in it, it might be a little overkill. Most of us can live with just sending in a single sample, but if you want to double check the lab, then sending in a duplicate sample and a distilled water (blank) sample could help assure you that the lab does (or doesn't) do good analytics.

Most people would benefit more from occasional testing of their tap water via lab testing as opposed to double checking the lab quality (the lab is going to charge you for each of those duplicate and blank samples).
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline Wilbur

• Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2017, 01:51:47 pm »
Martin, I have a related question for you. When you recommend testing several times throughout the year, are there any indicators as to when? I'm mostly thinking about my water system, which uses a mixture of Illinois River water and three wells. Are there any times I should suspect my supply is changing source, like after significant rain?

I know Jamil has recommended the Lamotte testing kit. It might not be too bad over the long run at $120 for the basic vs. $28/ Ward Labs. Follow up for Martin, which tests tend to be inaccurate for the home testing kits? Any recommendations for kits?

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2017, 03:19:18 pm »
Martin, I have a related question for you. When you recommend testing several times throughout the year, are there any indicators as to when? I'm mostly thinking about my water system, which uses a mixture of Illinois River water and three wells. Are there any times I should suspect my supply is changing source, like after significant rain?

I know Jamil has recommended the Lamotte testing kit. It might not be too bad over the long run at $120 for the basic vs. $28/ Ward Labs. Follow up for Martin, which tests tend to be inaccurate for the home testing kits? Any recommendations for kits?
Get a cheap ($15) TDS meter to monitor changes in the water. If they change the blend, you will probably see it in a TDS change. What to do about it is another thing.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!