Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: KISS Pale Ale.  (Read 2832 times)

Offline curtdogg

• Brewer
  • Learning everyday
KISS Pale Ale.
« on: February 04, 2017, 09:57:32 am »
This year i vowed to keep it simple.
 I already hosed up the last batch by adding to much crystal 60.
This time im going to leave it out. Im going to brew this style until i get it right. I have a few quandries.

80% 2 row
20% munich
Og 1.060
40 ibu
Pale Ale profile bru n water.
Dry hop.

S04 or wlp 001?
I've had great consistent results with s04. Never used wlp001.

What is a good mash temp for this style?

I like Citra and I like Mosaic. I saw recently that my LHBS has falconers flight. I have never used it. I would like to stick with one hop that is multi purpose and has some character. Any thoughts?

R,
Curtis.
Sweet home of the Beer Lords.

Offline one_seat

• 1st Kit
Re: KISS Pale Ale.
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2017, 11:18:58 am »
I like to mash my pales at 152-154. As far as falconers flight I've never tried it. I'm a fan of the simco centennial mix that's what my house IPA is dry hopped with.

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2017, 12:19:09 pm »
With that grain bill and 001 I would mash at 154F. If you use SO4 probably around 152F.

I have used Falconer Flight many times and it is a great blend. You could use it all the way through and even dry hop with it. Citra and Mosaic also make a great blend too!

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2017, 01:09:08 pm »
I think 152 is a good mash temp for pale ale. If you want a dryer beer, which is good to accentuate hops, then you can go down in temp (148-150).

I think the Brunwater Pale Ale profile is pretty extreme (maybe better for IPA or Double IPA). I would go with the Yellow Dry or Yellow Balanced.

Offline Andor

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2017, 01:43:53 pm »
This year i vowed to keep it simple.
 I already hosed up the last batch by adding to much crystal 60.
This time im going to leave it out. Im going to brew this style until i get it right. I have a few quandries.

80% 2 row
20% munich
Og 1.060
40 ibu
Pale Ale profile bru n water.
Dry hop.

S04 or wlp 001?
I've had great consistent results with s04. Never used wlp001.

What is a good mash temp for this style?

I like Citra and I like Mosaic. I saw recently that my LHBS has falconers flight. I have never used it. I would like to stick with one hop that is multi purpose and has some character. Any thoughts?

R,
Curtis.

Looks good to me. I use crystal less and less anymore especially my hoppy beers. My current IPA is 75% 2 row, 15% rye malt, and 10% flaked rye and I like the malt profile much better than past recipes that had a crystal element.

Offline curtdogg

• Brewer
  • Learning everyday
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2017, 02:28:09 pm »
With that grain bill and 001 I would mash at 154F. If you use SO4 probably around 152F.

I have used Falconer Flight many times and it is a great blend. You could use it all the way through and even dry hop with it. Citra and Mosaic also make a great blend too!
Are you basing those temps on attenuation and fg?

Offline curtdogg

• Brewer
  • Learning everyday
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2017, 02:34:11 pm »
In my last batch I thought I tasted diacetyl. I had a hard time keeping the fermentation temp above 65f. Its starting to warm up so I think this time I'll start at 65f and ramp to 70f. Thoughts?

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2017, 03:33:49 pm »

Are you basing those temps on attenuation and fg?

I'm basing those temps on knowing how attenuative those strains can be with certain grain bills and mash temps upon repeated use of them over the years.

Offline curtdogg

• Brewer
  • Learning everyday
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2017, 03:39:31 pm »
Great, thank you sir.

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2017, 03:41:00 pm »
Great, thank you sir.

Hey no problem! 

Let us know what you decide on and how things go!

Offline Frankenbrew

• Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2017, 03:47:47 pm »
In my last batch I thought I tasted diacetyl. I had a hard time keeping the fermentation temp above 65f. Its starting to warm up so I think this time I'll start at 65f and ramp to 70f. Thoughts?

I would think you'd be fine at 65. A few days rest after active fermentation should take care of any diacetyl.
Frank C.

And thereof comes the proverb: 'Blessing of your
heart, you brew good ale.'

Offline curtdogg

• Brewer
  • Learning everyday
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2017, 11:10:11 pm »

I would think you'd be fine at 65. A few days rest after active fermentation should take care of any diacetyl.
Ok, well on second thought is there a certain off flavor that comes with over hopping?

Offline one_seat

• 1st Kit
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2017, 11:34:34 pm »

Ok, well on second thought is there a certain off flavor that comes with over hopping?
Grassy/earthy if you dry hop too much or too long. Typically with 001 I start at 66 free rise to 68 once fermentation slows I raise it up to 70 until fermentation is complete, I figure it cleans out all the diacetyl. Maybe its over kill but it works for me.

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: February 04, 2017, 11:44:57 pm by one_seat »

Offline curtdogg

• Brewer
  • Learning everyday
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2017, 07:24:11 pm »
I finally got around to brewing this pale ale. I used 80/20 mix of 2 row and munich 10 mashed at 150 for 75 minutes with a pH of 5.5. For the boil I used Citra at 60, Mosaic at 5 brought the temp down to 180f and whirpooled with both.
Target gravity was supposed to be 1.058 but I managed to get 1.070 instead.
As we speak it is fermenting away in its temperature controlled home at 65f.
I will be dry hopping with 1oz of both Mosaic and Citra.

When it finishes I'll be sure to upload a photo and report on the flavor.

Thanks to everybody who gave sound advise.

Cheers.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk