Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Chlorine/Chloramine in rinse water?  (Read 1394 times)

Offline Steve L

• Brewmaster
  • Rocky Mount, VA
Chlorine/Chloramine in rinse water?
« on: June 12, 2017, 03:26:20 am »
Hi all,
So the water company came by our neighborhood to do maintenance on our central well system and now guess who's water smells like a public pool.... This guys. So of course I was cleaning bottles today. My question is will  the chlorine or Chloramine evaporate as the bottles dry or will it leave behind a residue? I'll be sanitizing them with starsan before use so they will get a good rinse, but I don't know if this will cause problems post bottling.
Sorry I had previously posted this in the wrong forum.
Thanks for any help.
Corripe Cervisiam

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Chlorine/Chloramine in rinse water?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2017, 05:13:51 am »
My thought is that if you can smell it in the water, it is a concern.  Since a Camden tablet will rid you of the problem, I would rinse the bottles with treated water - or simply treat the sanitizer water, if no rinse is used.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline Steve L

• Brewmaster
  • Rocky Mount, VA
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2017, 05:50:35 am »
My thought is that if you can smell it in the water, it is a concern.  Since a Camden tablet will rid you of the problem, I would rinse the bottles with treated water - or simply treat the sanitizer water, if no rinse is used.
Probably what I will have to do. I may make up a 5 gallon bucket of water and treat it with potassium metabisulfite and then soak the bottles for a minute.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Corripe Cervisiam

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2017, 08:23:00 am »
Chlorine and chloramine will both evaporate.  Chlorine is more volatile than chloramine.  I have on occasion use bleach solutions for sanitizing sometimes allowing to dry and sometimes following with Starsan without problems.  I have no personal experience with chloramines.

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2017, 12:01:03 pm »
My question is will  the chlorine or Chloramine evaporate as the bottles dry or will it leave behind a residue? I'll be sanitizing them with starsan before use so they will get a good rinse, but I don't know if this will cause problems post bottling.

It's never caused me any issues, and my tap water is treated with chloramines.
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline Steve L

• Brewmaster
  • Rocky Mount, VA
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2017, 03:43:37 pm »
excellent, thanks for all the help.
Corripe Cervisiam