Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Mash Out Questions / Please Help  (Read 5605 times)

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
Re: Mash Out Questions / Please Help
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2010, 02:30:06 pm »
That's because you don't make wheat beers :D

And damn proud of it!  :) 

BURN!!!!
A man works hard all week, so he doesn't have to wear pants all weekend.

Offline pmallory

• Cellarman
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2010, 09:40:37 pm »
Are you batch sparging? If so, you really don't need to do a mash. Mash out raises the temp of the grain to stop enzymatic activity that could continue over time while fly sparging. When batch sparging, run off takes so little time, there is not much concern with this. The only time I do a mash out is if I'm do a 12 gallon batch, and cannot heat all my strike water in my 7.5 gal kettle. And, when I have done a mash out, I typically heat the water to about 180* or so, and just mix it in. (carefully, remember HSA)

I am fly sparging and have never done a batch sparge. How hot would the water be that you use for a batch sparge, same as the strike water? Do you get better efficiency for a batch sparge? I don't know what HSA means either.

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2010, 09:52:41 pm »
  You should give batch sparging a try, at least one batch. If you batch sparge, no need to mash out. But, I do believe a msh out is done with boiling water.
A man works hard all week, so he doesn't have to wear pants all weekend.

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2010, 11:54:38 pm »
I am fly sparging and have never done a batch sparge. How hot would the water be that you use for a batch sparge, same as the strike water? Do you get better efficiency for a batch sparge? I don't know what HSA means either.
Results vary from system to system, brewer to brewer, on batch vs. fly sparging.  Use what works for you and don't worry about it.

HSA is hot side aeration.  It can be a problem in some breweries, but the guys at Basic Brewing Radio did some experiments that showed no difference unless you really whip the mash.  YMMV.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2010, 06:24:11 am »
I've not listened to any radio programs about HSA, but personally do not believe it is a problem pre-boil. Once my valve started sucking in air and aerated the runnings. For a 5 gallon batch (7 gallons of runnings) I had a completely full converted keg of foam pre-boil. The beer did not oxidize, nor stale prematurely. I cannot think of a better test pre-boil for HSA than that. Post boil I'm a believer in not splashing, but pre-boil, I'm not convinced it happens. YMMV
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2010, 06:26:29 am »
Once my valve started sucking in air and aerated the runnings. For a 5 gallon batch (7 gallons of runnings) I had a completely full converted keg of foam pre-boil. The beer did not oxidize, nor stale prematurely.

Good to know since this happens every time I run off.  Not quite to that extent but I'm getting some bubbling at the end of the runoff.
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline Mikey

• Brewer
« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2010, 11:27:33 am »
I agree, that HSA is not a real factor before boil, because I abuse my runnings.