Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Comparing Differences in Acid Malt Calculations  (Read 1455 times)

Big Monk

Comparing Differences in Acid Malt Calculations
« on: June 13, 2017, 10:54:31 am »
So I was goofing around today with acid malt calculations in my spreadsheet and was trying to reconcile Weyermann recommendations, Kai's numbers and the values given at a strength setting of 1 in BW (said to coincide roughly with Weyermann's 1%/-0.1 pH). Here is what I found:

After inputting my DI pH values for my Base blend and Vienna malt, and calculating acidity for the CaraHell, as well as subtracting the pH drop for Ca and the Antioxin SBT, I was at 5.75 for mash pH.

With the strength multiplier set to 1 (stock BW) and 5% acid malt, pH dropped to 5.42.

I wrote a quick equation for Kai's numbers:

((Acid Malt (g)/22.7 (g))/(Strike Volume (gal)/1 (gal)))*(-122 (HCO3 drop))

I could then compare Kai's numbers to the pH while manipulating the strength multiplier. While still at 5% acid malt, and a strength setting of 1.3, the pH drop predicted by my sheet matched Kai's numbers at 5.322.

I then manipulated the strength setting until I could see that 1% acid malt additions were providing a pH drop of 0.1. At 5% acid malt, with a strength setting of 1.5, my spreadsheet matched Weyermann's numbers and provided a prediction of 5.26.

« Last Edit: June 13, 2017, 10:56:02 am by Big Monk »

Offline 69franx

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Bloatarian Brewing League
Re: Comparing Differences in Acid Malt Calculations
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2017, 11:33:07 am »
Was this all in theory on paper, or did you actually run this trial and test? Not doubting, just curious if it matched up in real time. I love the work you are doing on this stuff Derek, just wondering if you can replicate that result in process. Have not used much acid malt, just looking to see if it really is more consistent than some have said before
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Big Monk

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2017, 11:38:49 am »
Was this all in theory on paper, or did you actually run this trial and test? Not doubting, just curious if it matched up in real time. I love the work you are doing on this stuff Derek, just wondering if you can replicate that result in process. Have not used much acid malt, just looking to see if it really is more consistent than some have said before

When using the BW style acid malt calcs I've seen lower than estimated pH values using the stock strength setting of 1 in my water calcs internal to my spreadsheet. As you can see from my previous post, it seems that the stock setting in these BW style calcs are the least conservative.

Kai's numbers and Weyermann's are empirical. I'm going to play around to find out what seems to give the most consistent results.

Bryan and I have seen "dead on, balls accurate" (it's an industry term ) pH estimates with my calculations, but he is using sauergut almost exclusively. I'm certain that it's not an estimation error on my part but rather an acid malt calculation thing.

Weyermann in particular is very consistent so it's really about finding a strength setting that matches their acid malt and sticking with it.

Offline 69franx

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2017, 11:42:15 am »
Gotcha
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)