Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: fermentation: carboy or bucket?  (Read 4373 times)

Offline deadpoetic0077

• Assistant Brewer
  • Noobie
Re: fermentation: carboy or bucket?
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2017, 10:55:00 am »
Big Mouth Bubbler carboys fitted with a valve and dip tube.

Have you had any issues with the lid on these? Seems like everywhere I look, there is someone saying the lid sucks, and someone saying they don't know what the other person is talking about... thinking about getting one and using the glass carboy I have for meads.

cool! Thanks!

I have used a 6.5 gallon plastic Big Mouth Bubbler for 15 batches and have not had issues with any issues with the lid.  I use a blowoff tube now and occasionally it doesn't seal quite enough around the bung to bubble, so it's not 100% airtight, but it's not the fault of the lid.  Plenty of homebrewers use plastic buckets with no problems and those in most cases don't seal 100%.

Offline Philbrew

• Brewmaster
Re: fermentation: carboy or bucket?
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2017, 01:04:49 pm »
Big Mouth Bubbler carboys fitted with a valve and dip tube.

Have you had any issues with the lid on these? Seems like everywhere I look, there is someone saying the lid sucks, and someone saying they don't know what the other person is talking about... thinking about getting one and using the glass carboy I have for meads.
The original BMB lid design had seal issues.  The new lid design, introduced about a year ago, seals well. 
Many of us would be on a strict liquid diet if it weren't for pretzels.