Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Growing plants with hops?  (Read 3536 times)

Offline csu007

• Brewer
  • Littleton, CO
Growing plants with hops?
« on: June 13, 2017, 08:46:13 pm »
So I was wondering if I can plant some "barbcue " rosemary in the same bed as my hops? I have 3 hop vines growing up 3 8ft ladder trellis'. Space is not an issue.
“Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drank, I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, “It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver.

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
Re: Growing plants with hops?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2017, 07:50:34 am »
I used to grow rosemary next to my hops. It seemed to help repel some pests. The problem is that the rosemary will grow both up and out into a moderate bush. Depending upon how big you let the rosemary get and how close to the hops it is planted, it may begin competing for space.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Online pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2017, 07:53:01 am »
I see know reason. As reverseappachemaster mentioned, if you live where rosemary survives winters you need to think about how big it will get.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline Wilbur

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2017, 12:27:22 pm »
The plant size is definitely a concern. I usually plant marigolds by my hops, they're supposed to provide homes for ladybugs and helpful insects that feed on aphids. I don't know if it's worked, but you can look at some other options.
http://web.extension.illinois.edu/ccdms/yg/120811.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_pest-repelling_plants

Offline csu007

• Brewer
  • Littleton, CO
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2017, 01:01:29 am »
Thanks for the suggestions. I ended up planting the rosemary in a pot, so that i can take it in for the winter.
“Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drank, I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, “It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver.