Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Cross contamination?  (Read 4514 times)

Offline David

• Assistant Brewer
Cross contamination?
« on: June 10, 2017, 02:03:49 pm »
Redesigning my garden and would like to start growing my own hops, my question is is there any problem with cross contamination of hop varieties? Is it ok to plant more than one variety close together, or should they be placed some distance apart?

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.” -- Henry Ford

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Cross contamination?
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2017, 04:43:05 pm »
The only concern would be if they start bushing together you won't know which is which. They do need a good amount of space for rooting, so don't go too close.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Cross contamination?
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2017, 04:44:34 pm »
Redesigning my garden and would like to start growing my own hops, my question is is there any problem with cross contamination of hop varieties? Is it ok to plant more than one variety close together, or should they be placed some distance apart?

Seems like the only way you could get cross contamination is if you had a male plant in with the females.  You definitely don't want to be growing make plants for several reasons.  AFAIK, all reputable sellers only sell females.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2017, 07:11:33 pm »
My experience is the same as Stevie, they will find each other and you have to play Sherlock Holmes at harvest Time to make sure you know what is what. As Denny said they should all be female so no unwanted hybridization should happen.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline David

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2017, 08:21:05 am »
Thanks for your suggestions, feeling alot better about planting more than one variety.

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.” -- Henry Ford

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2017, 09:10:53 am »
Some times there a subtle differences on the bines.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline b-hoppy

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2017, 08:16:22 am »
If by "cross contamination" you're thinking of the crowns or sidearms growing together, there's a chance.  Most sources suggest planting different varieties at least 6 or 7 feet apart due to the fact that if you have two different (and) very vigorous varieties, there's a chance their rhizomes may grow into one another.  The picture in the link shows how far rhizomes can grow in just one season: http://allaboutbeer.com/canadian-red-vine/  If you dig and cut back the rhizomes on a yearly basis you probably can plant them a little closer and I've done so in the past but you really have to watch.  Also, some varieties will put out sidearms that are quite long (up to 4-5 feet) so take this into consideration as to where and how  far apart you train them. 

Offline David

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2017, 08:21:21 am »
If by "cross contamination" you're thinking of the crowns or sidearms growing together, there's a chance.  Most sources suggest planting different varieties at least 6 or 7 feet apart due to the fact that if you have two different (and) very vigorous varieties, there's a chance their rhizomes may grow into one another.  The picture in the link shows how far rhizomes can grow in just one season: http://allaboutbeer.com/canadian-red-vine/  If you dig and cut back the rhizomes on a yearly basis you probably can plant them a little closer and I've done so in the past but you really have to watch.  Also, some varieties will put out sidearms that are quite long (up to 4-5 feet) so take this into consideration as to where and how  far apart you train them.
Thanks for the info, I am thinking now that I will plant different varieties on the corners of my garden, approximately 20 feet apart. What I had originally meant by cross contamination was more of cross pollination. Did not want to end up with some unusual mix breed.

Offline b-hoppy

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2017, 08:42:59 am »
They're dioecious so you'd have to have a male to pollinate the nearby gals.  At that point some seeds would form and you'd have to grow those out to have varieties different than what you have planted.  I've heard of it happening, but the chances are REALLY slim that a supplier would intentionally send out a male rhizome.  Hoppy Trails~

Offline Wilbur

• Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2017, 02:02:56 pm »
Michigan Extension has some great info, but here's a post from Great Lakes Hops:
http://www.greatlakeshops.com/hops-blog/selecting-the-right-trellis-design-to-grow-great-hops

They recommend spacing based on the root system size of your varieties. I've talked to the folks there, they've been very helpful!