Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: non-alocholic sparkling cider  (Read 3044 times)

Offline saintpierre

• Brewer
  • Augusta, ME
    • www.malthomebrewclub.org
non-alocholic sparkling cider
« on: July 29, 2010, 10:54:59 am »
I know, I know a non-alocholic cider question on a homebrewers forum...  ;D

We are expecting our first child in December and my wife/co-brewer is feeling a little left out of our favorite hobby.

Do anyone have any ideas on making a non-alcholic sparkling fruit cider?  Is it as easy as mixing 5gallons of apple cider, adding some fruit and force carbonating?
Mike St. Pierre, P.E.
Maine Ale & Libation Tasters (MALT)
BJCP Certified
[719.4, 74.1] AR

Offline pschreck

• 1st Kit
Re: non-alocholic sparkling cider
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2010, 10:58:52 am »
Sounds about right.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2010, 12:27:58 pm »
You might try thinning the juice with some h20 to give it a lighter body and to tone down the sweetness. It could need as much as 50% dilution.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline beerocd

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2010, 01:45:18 pm »
How about just on the fly mixing a good juice/cider with sparkling mineral water? Naturally carbing it like root beer probably won't hurt the wife or kid if it's just the thrill of homebrewing that she's after. You'll get one or two percent, natural bubbles, whatever nutritional value there is out of the yeast. OZTops are good for this type of "brewing". 2liter bottle, pinch of yeast, and you can control the carbonation and alcohol levels by popping it in the fridge.
The moral majority, is neither.

Offline nicneufeld

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2010, 03:23:31 pm »
A bottle of Martinellis sounds appropriate to me!

Speaking of, one of my better experiments from back in the day:

1 bottle of Martinellis
1 bottle Laird's Bonded Apple Brandy, 100pr (you could sub calvados if desired, but not Laird's Applejack, which is half vodka)

Mix the two 50/50 into two 750ml bottles, cap, and store.  You now have a very delightful pseudo Pommeau liqueur.  I did one of these years ago, its about time to do it again.  The complexity of the apple brandy paired with the fresh apple flavor and sweetness is quite pleasant.  I suppose I could be cheap and try bourbon and Martinellis, but I don't think its quite as nice a blend as a good apple brandy.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2010, 06:01:25 pm »
This sounds good. I will have to try it. 
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline saintpierre

• Brewer
  • Augusta, ME
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2010, 02:33:40 pm »
A bottle of Martinellis sounds appropriate to me!

Exactly, how would I go about making Martinellis.
Mike St. Pierre, P.E.
BJCP Certified
[719.4, 74.1] AR

Offline nicneufeld

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2010, 03:27:40 pm »
Well, its not really "made", I mean, its carbonated fruit juice.  To duplicate their cider's flavor is going to necessitate getting the right kinds of apples to blend to balance sweetness and flavor...ie., I doubt plain apple juice with carbonation will taste much like Martinellis.  To juice your own apples though is an expensive and investment heavy proposition unless you've already got the trees and press.  But if you have a good still cider you like, yes, it basically is just as easy as forcecarbing it.  If you prefer Martinellis I wouldn't dilute it with water because Martinellis is quite concentrated in sweetness and flavor.  But if you're drinking it more as a thirst quenching beverage, yes, I would prefer it diluted, myself. 

You mention "adding fruit"...I'm not sure that is necessary or profitable.  I'd find a cider you like and then forcecarbonate it.  Fairly simple.

However, that's an awful lot of cider, assuming its a 5 gallon keg.  Hope the missus likes it, cause there's plenty there to drink!  That's why I'd lean to just going and getting a bottle of sparkling cider.  I doubt it costs that much more over a comparable still cider.  But I could see wanting to have it on tap just for the fun of it...

Offline saintpierre

• Brewer
  • Augusta, ME
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2010, 04:04:10 pm »
That's what I was thinking.  We have four blueberry bushes in the yard that I have been picking berries from daily for the past month and was thinking of a fun way to use them that we both could enjoy (since I made a blueberry pale and making a blueberry melomel this weekend).
I have a 3-gallon corny so I was planning to make only 3 gallons by using 2 gallons of cider and steeping the berries in 1 gallon of water to extract the juice.  But from your comments about diluting I think I will now use 1 gallon of cider and steep the berries in 2 gallons of water.
I plan on making it this weekend and will post the results later.
Thanks for your help!
« Last Edit: August 05, 2010, 04:06:46 pm by saintsbrew »
Mike St. Pierre, P.E.
BJCP Certified
[719.4, 74.1] AR

Offline nicneufeld

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2010, 04:12:15 pm »
That's what I was thinking.  We have four blueberry bushes in the yard that I have been picking berries from daily for the past month and was thinking of a fun way to use them that we both could enjoy (since I made a blueberry pale and making a blueberry melomel this weekend).
I have a 3-gallon corny so I was planning to make only 3 gallons by using 2 gallons of cider and steeping the berries in 1 gallon of water to extract the juice.  But from your comments about diluting I think I will now use 1 gallon of cider and steep the berries in 2 gallons of water.
I plan on making it this weekend and will post the results later.
Thanks for your help!

A sparkling blueberry apple juice sounds quite nice!