General Category > Other Fermentables

Apple, honey...

(1/2) > >>

bluefoxicy:

Excellent apple juice, decent orange blossom honey.

I'm thinking English Cider Yeast.  1 gallon, just an experiment, at 22oz ~= 1.5 lb/gallon.  The juice itself makes about 5% ABV IIRC.

If it turns out in 4 months, maybe I'll make a 5 gallon batch.  Thoughts?

bluefoxicy:

Found a mason jar the same size as that jar of honey, removed that much juice.

Montrachet yeast.  A pinch of yeast nutrient.

Didn't add the honey yet!  I'm waiting on that.  I'll extrapolate the ABV from what I know about this juice and honey from experience, and give a rough calculation accurate to within 1/2 of 1% I'm sure.

Instead of accurate hygroing, I'm going to let the juice ferment for a day or three.  Yep, giant yeast starter.  Then in goes the honey; sanitize the cap and screw it back on; good shake-up; airlock and come back in a few months!

It seemed logical for a cyser.

euge:
Sure. Looks like fun!

Better to see in advance instead of blindly using $50+ dollars on honey and apple-juice.

That yeast starter is for more cyser right? Might not like maltose after this ferment. LOL Good luck!

bluefoxicy:

--- Quote from: euge on July 29, 2010, 10:48:39 PM ---That yeast starter is for more cyser right? Might not like maltose after this ferment. LOL Good luck!

--- End quote ---

Well, rather than trying to pitch yeast into a honey-juice mixture that's got tons of sugar, I pitched the yeast into just plain juice.  Then when I add the honey, the juice will be like one giant starter.  Similar concept to making a light 5% ABV pale ale and then pitching a 14% ABV barleywine on the left over yeast without cleaning the carboy.

euge:
Be careful with that. According to Jamil Zainashef yeast lose the ability to eat maltose in that sort of situation. True? I don't know, but most of what he's discussed has been accurate in my experience.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version