Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: HomeBrew Con 2018  (Read 14891 times)

Offline toby

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Galvez, LA
    • Beer Judge Chronicles
Re: HomeBrew Con 2018
« Reply #60 on: June 20, 2017, 01:37:20 pm »
I vote for Nashville or St. Louis over New Orleans or Las Vegas. NOLA and Vegas are nasty.

Thank you for your constructive criticism.
Whoops. Sorry didn't mean to insult.

Then maybe be a little more specific? lol There are certainly parts of New Orleans that I don't bother with (Bourbon Street being a big example). There's also parts of Vegas I don't bother with. I'm sure there are also parts of _ANY_ potential conference city that are nasty to various people for various reasons.

Offline tommymorris

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
HomeBrew Con 2018
« Reply #61 on: June 20, 2017, 01:43:33 pm »
I vote for Nashville or St. Louis over New Orleans or Las Vegas. NOLA and Vegas are nasty.

Then maybe be a little more specific? lol There are certainly parts of New Orleans that I don't bother with (Bourbon Street being a big example). There's also parts of Vegas I don't bother with. I'm sure there are also parts of _ANY_ potential conference city that are nasty to various people for various reasons.
I don't care for the French Quarter and Bourbon street areas. I think those areas smell bad and are dirty. Those being the main advertised attractions, I would choose elsewhere for NHC in the south.

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #62 on: June 20, 2017, 01:56:51 pm »
Oakland was funny. We were instructed to not walk in a particular direction while there.
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline Stevie

« Reply #63 on: June 20, 2017, 02:04:19 pm »
Remove Bourbon St and the French Quarter is great. Low key, yet energetic. Rich history. Gorgeous buildings and churches.

Bourbon St is Tijuana for over 21's.

Offline Stevie

« Reply #64 on: June 20, 2017, 02:05:00 pm »
Oakland was funny. We were instructed to not walk in a particular direction while there.
I'm sure that direction is filled with hipsters and tech workers now.

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #65 on: June 20, 2017, 02:23:31 pm »
I'm sure that direction is filled with hipsters and tech workers now.
Then I would still not walk in that direction...
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #66 on: June 20, 2017, 03:28:16 pm »
NOLA was my first conference in 96.  (I have now been to 17 more).  It was especially memorable because it was our 20th wedding anniversary, we were staying at a B&B in the Garden District with several of my in laws, and for some reason I wanted to go to beer seminars.  We almost didn't make it to 21 years.
I love NOLA and try to go at least once a year - we stay in the same area as the convention center, the Central Business District, and walk around from there.  Plenty to do without stepping foot onto Bourbon Street.
My second conference was the one in Portland, which is also one of my favorite places.  Woo Hoo for next year!
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline ethinson

• Brewmaster
  • Why is the beer always gone?
    • River Pirate Brewing Co.
« Reply #67 on: June 20, 2017, 03:28:53 pm »

That's funny.. that sparks a memory of I think that being vaguely referenced while I was in San Diego in 2015.
SE Portland - AKA Beervana
Captain and Chief Deck Swabber - River Pirate Brewing Co.
Certified BJCP Beer Judge
2015 Oregon Brew Crew Member of the Year

Offline theDarkSide

• Derry, NH
« Reply #68 on: June 21, 2017, 07:58:55 am »

The walk to Dunkin Donuts in Baltimore was something like that.  Some guy beating his head on the signs on the train platform, yelling at no one at 8am.  Stuck with hotel coffee after that.
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

narvin

« Reply #69 on: June 21, 2017, 08:46:39 am »

I don't care for the French Quarter and Bourbon street areas. I think those areas smell bad and are dirty. Those being the main advertised attractions, I would choose elsewhere for NHC in the south.

And you don't think a homebrew convention is going to smell bad?  Trust me, you won't even notice bourbon street over the cloud of beer farts.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #70 on: June 21, 2017, 08:55:28 am »
 ;D  Never heard a Bourbon St vs beer fart debate. Funny stuff.
Jon H.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #71 on: June 21, 2017, 10:27:43 am »
Some were commenting on when the aromas started this year. Lunch on Thursday was what some were saying.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline theDarkSide

• Derry, NH
« Reply #72 on: June 21, 2017, 11:22:19 am »
My favorite part was the Rahr Malting tour.  Amazing facility, great beer and the food from Northbound was excellent.

Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline toby

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Galvez, LA
    • Beer Judge Chronicles
« Reply #73 on: June 21, 2017, 12:08:20 pm »
I don't care for the French Quarter and Bourbon street areas. I think those areas smell bad and are dirty.

Bourbon Street definitely smells bad and is dirty. There are some cool spots in the quarter. Frenchmen has some cool spots, even though it seems to be getting more touristy lately.

Those being the main advertised attractions, I would choose elsewhere for NHC in the south.

If NHC were held in New Orleans, nobody would even see Bourbon unless they chose to. The Convention Center isn't particularly close to it, and there's only 1 new brewery vaguely in the quarter (Brieux Carre). All the interesting beer stuff is elsewhere.

Offline toby

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Galvez, LA
    • Beer Judge Chronicles
« Reply #74 on: June 21, 2017, 12:11:42 pm »
And you don't think a homebrew convention is going to smell bad?  Trust me, you won't even notice bourbon street over the cloud of beer farts.

Clearly you have never smelled Bourbon Street during the summer. lol