Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: The best IPA I ever made was gone in 2 days  (Read 7207 times)

narvin

Re: The best IPA I ever made was gone in 2 days
« Reply #45 on: June 07, 2017, 03:58:58 pm »

This is not a knock in any way, and it mirrors my experience nearly exactly. The U guys beat the hell out of beer and can't tell a difference, I agree in the fact that pre-low oxygen I could do the same.
HOWEVER, brewing low oxygen, you can't even look at the wort wrong and it then goes poof into a "normal" beer.  So why strive to do what we do, when the slightest thing turns the beer back to normal like Cinderella at midnight? Because once you taste beer with no oxygen, you are forever tainted and will go to any length to make that stick around. Narvin's reaction, resonated immediately with me, because I have been there. Thats what prompted the low oxygen brewing question, the differences are so dramatic now. I just hope someday you all get to taste that! It's un-explainable, to those who have not.

I hear you, and remember you saying that spunding was one of the biggest difference makers.  I will find out on the next batch.

On the other hand, in your opinion what do you think of the copper specifically in terms of the hop flavor and the effects post-carbonation? Given the use of some other anti-oxidants as well as brewtan b, do you think this would have a large effect on hop flavor due to accelerated oxidation?

The Beerery

« Reply #46 on: June 07, 2017, 05:07:22 pm »
It's tough to say.  I eliminated all my copper prior to low oxygen so I can't comment.  I know a lot of low oxygen folks still have copper chillers and have success so my guess in this case is the ferment to gravity, and force carb.  In my force carb days of low oxygen, it was almost exactly what you described.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Big Monk

The best IPA I ever made was gone in 2 days
« Reply #47 on: June 20, 2017, 05:10:35 pm »

I know that agitating beer while carbonating can lead to temporarily increased carbonic acid which can be undesirable, but had no idea introducing CO2 into a purged vessel could cause oxidation.  Can you point us in the direction of any articles or other documents describing how that works?

Folks here have reported that commercially available CO2 is not 100% pure.  The small amount of O2 can cause staling over the long term.

"Can" being the key word there.  Many people have never had that problem with commercial CO2.

I think the distinction should be made that people who have started utilizing Low Oxygen methods have seen this issue pop up consistently. It seems to present itself more readily under those conditions.

Not trying to detail further though, sorry.

so a simple solution to the problem is to eliminate low 02 brewing methods..

If you spent the time and effort and created one of the best beers you ever brewed, wouldn't it be a bummer to see it ruined by the O2 content of your CO2?
« Last Edit: June 20, 2017, 05:13:57 pm by Big Monk »

narvin

« Reply #48 on: June 20, 2017, 07:25:57 pm »

I know that agitating beer while carbonating can lead to temporarily increased carbonic acid which can be undesirable, but had no idea introducing CO2 into a purged vessel could cause oxidation.  Can you point us in the direction of any articles or other documents describing how that works?

Folks here have reported that commercially available CO2 is not 100% pure.  The small amount of O2 can cause staling over the long term.

"Can" being the key word there.  Many people have never had that problem with commercial CO2.

I think the distinction should be made that people who have started utilizing Low Oxygen methods have seen this issue pop up consistently. It seems to present itself more readily under those conditions.

Not trying to detail further though, sorry.

so a simple solution to the problem is to eliminate low 02 brewing methods..

If you spent the time and effort and created one of the best beers you ever brewed, wouldn't it be a bummer to see it ruined by the O2 content of your CO2?

Agreed, ignorance is not bliss.

Next batch will be transferred to the keg on day 4 with dry hops and spunding valve.  It will be interesting to see how it ages.  Not surprisingly, natural carbonation at the end of fermentation is recommended by JC from Trillium.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2017, 07:27:42 pm by narvin »