Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: bumblebeer  (Read 2538 times)

Offline Visor

• Brewmaster
bumblebeer
« on: June 20, 2017, 08:37:14 am »
   Just read an interesting article on pbs.org/newshour about a couple of new strains of potential brewing yeast which were isolated from a bee and a wasp. I'm interested to hear what the forum folks take on this is.
I spent most of my money on beer, tools and guns, the rest I foolishly squandered on stupid stuff!

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: bumblebeer
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2017, 08:40:59 am »
   Just read an interesting article on pbs.org/newshour about a couple of new strains of potential brewing yeast which were isolated from a bee and a wasp. I'm interested to hear what the forum folks take on this is.

What's all the buzz about this?

Offline bayareabrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2017, 09:20:05 am »
Think I read the same article, sounds like they found some sacch type yeast that is a large acid producer. The article insinuates that Lambic style beers may be produced in mere weeks as opposed to years with it, but simple acid does not a Lambic make.

Offline ethinson

• Brewmaster
  • Why is the beer always gone?
    • River Pirate Brewing Co.
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2017, 03:24:31 pm »
I read about this in my alumni magazine.  I have a Food Science degree from NC State and took classes from John Sheppard.  Sadly I wasn't there for the yeast, but we grew lactobacillus in lab fermentors.  Looking back now as a homebrewer, those classes would make a lot more since then they did back then.

Ironically one of our brewers here at work mentioned this today as well.  Must have seen the same thing you did.
SE Portland - AKA Beervana
Captain and Chief Deck Swabber - River Pirate Brewing Co.
Certified BJCP Beer Judge
2015 Oregon Brew Crew Member of the Year

Offline FermentedCulture

• 1st Kit
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2017, 03:50:32 pm »
There was a paper a while back about hybridisation of yeast in wasp guts over winter. Munkebo brewery in Denmark produce beer with yeast isolates from bees. I'm looking forward to trying them out, they are all cerevisiae but one makes raspberry/cherry flavours allegedly (some are also cold tolerant to 10°C!).

Are you talking about http://wildpitchyeast.com/ with their lactic acid strains of yeast? They have been sending out samples on the milk the funk group for a while. People are still very skeptical about it though (I believe one sample had contamination).

Is this the article? http://www.pbs.org/newshour/updates/next-happy-hour-buzz-brought-bees/

Offline Visor

• Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2017, 09:05:11 am »
   Yes, that does look like the article I referenced, they also had a short segment about this on the Newshour last evening - must have been a slow news day.
I spent most of my money on beer, tools and guns, the rest I foolishly squandered on stupid stuff!