Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Insignia Kegerator  (Read 3698 times)

Offline zsmith87

• Cellarman
Insignia Kegerator
« on: June 20, 2017, 09:45:51 am »
Looking for some advice on Kegerators!

Has anyone ever purchased an Insignia Kegerator, such as this;

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/insignia-5-6-cu-ft-2-tap-beverage-cooler-kegerator-stainless-steel/4223500.p?skuId=4223500

Less expensive then most other mid range brands like Kegco or Edgestar, but wasn't sure if it lacks in quality or is just sold at a higher volume out of a place like Bestbuy so they can afford to be cheaper.

Thanks.

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Insignia Kegerator
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2017, 09:59:28 am »
 Looks like a house brand unit that is sold under many different brands. I've seen similar units at a similar price point from Sanyo, Danby, and others. Costco has the Danby from time to time.

Offline zsmith87

• Cellarman
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2017, 10:42:56 am »
Looks like a house brand unit that is sold under many different brands. I've seen similar units at a similar price point from Sanyo, Danby, and others. Costco has the Danby from time to time.

So if you had the extra couple of hundred dollars would you buy a Kegco instead? That's what I'm leaning towards.

Offline Stevie

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2017, 10:45:46 am »
Not sure. I know people with 8 year old sanyo models. I'd likely go with what I can get at Costco. Great return policy.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2017, 10:57:57 am »
Not sure. I know people with 8 year old sanyo models. I'd likely go with what I can get at Costco. Great return policy.

I have an old Haier that's still kicking, and the newer one my wife bought me from Costco. It's the Danby and it's never given me a minute of trouble. I keep it inside and it'll chill down to around 30F. I put a dual tap tower on it, and it's good to go. I'd buy another.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2017, 10:59:38 am by HoosierBrew »
Jon H.

Offline Stevie

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2017, 11:09:03 am »
Jon, are they still basically the same units?

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2017, 11:34:07 am »
Jon, are they still basically the same units?

Not completely. The Haier was more expensive by a few hundred and doesn't work any better. Inside dimensons are comparable with the Haier slightly bigger.  The Danby is a steal for the $. It has a predrilled hole for your CO2 line ( so the tank can sit outside). I like it.

Jon H.

Offline Stevie

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2017, 02:06:55 pm »
Can you get three ball locks
In there with the tank outside?

Moving to a smaller apartment and may need to rethink my kegerator situation. Can likely keep the kezzer, but it may be in the detached garage.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2017, 03:00:58 pm »
Can you get three ball locks
In there with the tank outside?

Moving to a smaller apartment and may need to rethink my kegerator situation. Can likely keep the kezzer, but it may be in the detached garage.

No, only 2 in that one. The ancient Haier is just big enough for 3. I had a converted kegerator fridge that burned out. My plan was to get another used fridge and convert it like before, but my wife bought me the Danby as a gift after the fridge kicked.
Jon H.

Offline Stevie

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2017, 03:23:30 pm »
Still a good option. MoreBeer shows the Keg King with three of the torpedo kegs, but that's more money.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2017, 03:29:30 pm »
Still a good option. MoreBeer shows the Keg King with three of the torpedo kegs, but that's more money.

At the time she paid around $400-ish. Like many kegerators, Danby recommends not to keep it in a garage. I keep it inside and couldn't be happier for the price point. Also, I checked wiring diagrams first, and there are no wires routed on top at all - I put a dual tap with Perlicks over the single tap tower hole with no issues.
Jon H.

Offline Stevie

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2017, 03:39:11 pm »
Sorry for the hijack OP. This is good info for all. First hand experience with the Danby.

If I go this route, it will go in the living/dining room, keezer out in the garage. I live on the Central CA Coast, so the temp isn't a big deal.