Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: low gravity batch sparge question  (Read 1880 times)

Offline 4swan

• Cellarman
low gravity batch sparge question
« on: June 28, 2017, 05:15:48 pm »
I plan on making a Dark Mild and decided to try out batch sparging for the first time.  I'll be using 7.5# of malt and normally would use a total of 28 quarts of water when fly sparging.  My OG estimate for fly sparging would be 1.039.  I haven't decided on the volume of each batch sparge or if I'll add some of the water to the kettle.  When fly sparging everyone talks about stopping sparging when the pH rises to a certain point.  Are there any concerns with batch sparging a low gravity beer?

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
Re: low gravity batch sparge question
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2017, 06:47:20 pm »
In a word, no.  You can't oversparge when doing a single batch sparge.

Offline 4swan

• Cellarman
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2017, 08:27:38 pm »
Great.  Thank you for your help.

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2017, 03:12:03 pm »
The ease of batch sparging allows you to run off what you mash and then determine how much more wort you want to collect and simply add that amount as the batch sparge to the mash and run that off.  Easy Peasy.  If you know your boil off rate, you should be set.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline 4swan

• Cellarman
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2017, 01:09:48 pm »
Everything went great.  I saved about a half hour of time, didn't have to worry about over sparging and my OG was 1.038-  one point away from expected, exactly close enough.  Looks like I'll be trying batch sparging again in the future.

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2017, 09:32:11 am »
Everything went great.  I saved about a half hour of time, didn't have to worry about over sparging and my OG was 1.038-  one point away from expected, exactly close enough.  Looks like I'll be trying batch sparging again in the future.

I switched to batch sparging some time ago and also get almost exactly the same O G as when I fly sparged. Several years ago I also switched to 45 minute mashes and boils to save time.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women