Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Mash mystery w/ Vienna Malt  (Read 3951 times)

Offline zigs6

• Cellarman
Re: Mash mystery w/ Vienna Malt
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2017, 11:42:09 am »
Beer smith had me calculated at a 1.045 pre boil gravity and after 60 minutes I was at 1.025. The grains came pre milled from more beer so I doubt that was the issue. It was a 152F mash and the PH was measured at room temp at 5.37.
Anyone have any insight?

(quote edited for length)

Have you checked calibration on your thermometer? In my first all-grain batch, I had efficiency similar to yours, and it turned out that my digital thermometer was reading about 20 degrees high (i.e., my mash was actually much cooler than optimal).

Dough balls as others mentioned could be a possibility, too.

Just checked. We're good. Thank you.

Big Monk

« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2017, 12:31:02 pm »
I am struggling to see how to get where I want with no sparge. For 6 gallons of a pilsner I have made before, I need 10.61# grain at 75% eff. To go full on no sparge, I need 35.36 quarts in my mash, which come out to 3.33qt/# which according to the chart will net me around 1.04 OG roughly, while I am shooting for 1.05. My profile has been adjusted to get only 5.5% boil off (and I have never been that low in the past, just trying to limit the amount of starting water as much as possible,) but I do have about .4G of deadspace. How do you no sparge for a beer this size with roughly the figures I have outlined? No Sparge is something I have wanted to do, but just cant seem to get the numbers I want to see in software to make the jump. Single infusion for the bulk of water and add a mashout step with boiling water to keep the WTG lower on the actual mash (seems to require too much of a second infusion or way too high of a temp)? Any thoughts would be a great help

The chart is not displaying OG but rather First Wort Gravity. I think you need more grain. trying upping it to 12-12.5 lbs.

Offline 69franx

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2017, 02:16:27 pm »
Derek, thanks, think I missed the difference from my intended OG. Will have to sit back down with it to see if it matches up for me

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)