Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Kitchen Knives  (Read 32150 times)

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
Re: Kitchen Knives
« Reply #75 on: September 25, 2011, 09:48:30 am »
Imagine the entire corner gone from where you cut all the way down to the board and you'ld have what she did...it was NASTY!

BTW - now she wants the Guy Fieri paring knife...  ::)
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #76 on: September 25, 2011, 11:19:54 am »
Imagine the entire corner gone from where you cut all the way down to the board and you'ld have what she did...it was NASTY!

BTW - now she wants the Guy Fieri paring knife...  ::)

Hopefully you guys are holding the items to be cut correctly. All five fingers tucked in out of the way. And I don't look away during the act even if someone is talking to me.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

narvin

« Reply #77 on: September 25, 2011, 11:53:51 am »

BTW - now she wants the Guy Fieri paring knife...  ::)

Hopefully you guys are holding the items to be cut correctly. All five fingers tucked in out of the way. And I don't look away during the act even if someone is talking to me.

In theory, yes.  Not really sure what I was doing this time though.  Despite the sloppiness I mostly hit the nail since the knife was almost parallel to my finger.

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #78 on: September 25, 2011, 12:25:19 pm »
She was chopping down on the board and came around and clipped the corner. It happened so fast she wasn't even aware it had happened until later and pulled away from the board without even a drop of blood, but left that corner of the finger on the board...nasty!!!

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #79 on: September 25, 2011, 01:27:42 pm »
Vorpal Blade... :o
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #80 on: September 25, 2011, 07:07:56 pm »
Here's the knife she cut the end with. Actually a darn good and very thin bladed knife. (image from ebay auction)

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #81 on: September 26, 2011, 01:59:35 am »

I did this exact thing last weekend!  Stupid... but in my case it was such a shallow glance that the bleeding stopped with some pressure.

This was with a new Calphalon 7" Santoku from BBB... $29.95.  Sharp as all hell, although I don't know if I like the feel as much as an 8" chef knife.

Guess the 8" woulda taken it off down to the first knuckle.  I'm sure that would feel much better...    :D
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #82 on: September 26, 2011, 05:20:28 am »
I just bought some new Microplane graters. One was coarse and replaced our old plastic microplane which broke. In taking the cover off I didn't realize it snapped and tried to slide it off. It took a hunk out of my ring finger on my right hand. It doesn't take much with sharp objects to end up missing piece of fingermeat ;)

Offline 1vertical

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Ozone Layer. Actual location
« Reply #83 on: September 26, 2011, 11:06:36 pm »
I just bought some new Microplane graters. One was coarse and replaced our old plastic microplane which broke. In taking the cover off I didn't realize it snapped and tried to slide it off. It took a hunk out of my ring finger on my right hand. It doesn't take much with sharp objects to end up missing piece of fingermeat ;)
>>>1vert>>>> dreams of freshly microplane grated black perigord truffles....mmmmm....
A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #84 on: September 27, 2011, 02:19:41 am »

FIRST on my list of things to get when I visit the old country. The microplane, not the finger pieces.
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #85 on: September 27, 2011, 06:49:57 am »
I'll bet we have 5 or 6 of them. Before we had a plastic one and after 10 years or so it broke, now I'm getting the professional ones - they do real good at removing finger meat!

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #86 on: September 27, 2011, 11:24:47 am »
I got the microplane home-series coarse grater. To me it isn't coarse but fine. Regardless it works well and I've gotten a lot out of one goodly sized chunk of Parmesan.

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #87 on: September 27, 2011, 01:54:21 pm »
You need to get what they call Extra Coarse

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #88 on: October 12, 2011, 03:59:46 pm »
Does anyone have a favorite filet knife they'd recommend?  I've got a 50lb box of Coho fresh (well, frozen) from Alaska that I need to get ready for the smoker.  I think I need a nice flexible one at least 7" long.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline maxieboy

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Mid MI
« Reply #89 on: October 12, 2011, 05:06:04 pm »
Does anyone have a favorite filet knife they'd recommend?  I've got a 50lb box of Coho fresh (well, frozen) from Alaska that I need to get ready for the smoker.  I think I need a nice flexible one at least 7" long.

I've used Rapala filet knives for 35 years. LOTS of fish filleted. No issues and reasonably priced.
I like these grippy handles:
http://www.rapala.com/products/knives/soft_grip_fillet/

A dog can show you more honest affection with a flick of his tail than a man can gather through a lifetime of handshakes." Gene Hill

[47.7, 310.8] AR

AHA Member