Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Cost of a Sixer?  (Read 10340 times)

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: Cost of a Sixer?
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2017, 05:10:42 pm »
It's telling that ABI brands like Goose Island are undercutting locals by selling for $7 or so a sixer.  That bothers me.

Me too. A lot. But it's just good business!   ;)
Jon H.

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2017, 05:35:47 pm »
Are they truly undercutting using underhanded tactics, or are they simply enjoying the economy of scale? I don't notice the prices being terribly lower, but I also don't buy too frequently. I might now if I can find a half decent IPA for $7.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2017, 08:53:55 pm »
Sierra Nevada and some of the larger local breweries are $9-$10 a pack. Most other craft beer is $11-$12, and some, such as Bell's and Ballast Point, are as high as $14-15. Sadly, some of this is utter crap. The nearest brewery to me that bottles shouldn't be in business, I've yet to buy beer from them that wasn't infected, overcarbed, or had some other issue...utterly inexcusable at the price charged.

There's a reason I mostly buy Yuengling.

That seems high for Bell's, but I am only two hours from K'zoo.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline ethinson

• Brewmaster
  • Why is the beer always gone?
    • River Pirate Brewing Co.
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2017, 06:00:48 am »
Are they truly undercutting using underhanded tactics, or are they simply enjoying the economy of scale? I don't notice the prices being terribly lower, but I also don't buy too frequently. I might now if I can find a half decent IPA for $7.

I haven't seen that drop in bottled beer, especially not Goose, but I heard rumors that they slashed a lot of keg prices to the point where they were almost losing money.  Buying kegs for my wife's graduation seemed to bear that out, where a 5 gallon of Sierra Nevada was like $175 and a 5 gallon of 10 barrel IPA was $79.   But maybe 10 Barrel was already that cheap?

That may have been temporary to flush out old stock.  I've only bought kegs once and probably won't ever do it again.

A quick glance at Johns Market (where we bought the kegs) seems to show similar prices.  10 Barrel Apocalypse is $89 for a 1/6BBL. Alaskan Amber is $86, Ace Cider is $94(I'd expect that to be more expensive), Grapefruit Sculpin is $103 (not shocked), Hop Valley is $92.. so it's kind of in line with most everything else.

Goose Island IPA on the other hand was $50 for a 1/6. Hmm.  Before I started throwing stones on that one I would say it's not their most popular beer, not really what they are known for, and also not that popular out here.  I've never seen it on draft anywhere, I'm a little surprised John's carries it.
SE Portland - AKA Beervana
Captain and Chief Deck Swabber - River Pirate Brewing Co.
Certified BJCP Beer Judge
2015 Oregon Brew Crew Member of the Year

Offline Stevie

« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2017, 07:57:12 am »
But how would we know if they are selling at a loss? They have enormous scale, I'm sure they get great pricing on everything from ingredients to utilities.

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2017, 09:56:47 am »
I can't remember the last time that I bought a sixer, I almost never buy beer. The last time I bought any beer in the last 2-3 years was a few months ago at Pike Brewing when we were in Seattle for a couple of days.
The only reason I even go through the beer aisle is to get inspiration for something to brew.
The only time I try any non-homebrew is at the beerfests where I volunteer and get it for free.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2017, 08:33:01 pm »
I miss the days of a case of Saranac Pale Ale being $30. (Do they still even brew this? I loved this beer, British style PA brewed with Fuggles. Denny would love it.)

I feel like many breweries are starting to price themselves out of existence. I mean it's still just beer, meant to be a simple drink to be enjoyed amongst friends. I love geeking out about beer, but it's going too far. I've stopped buying craft Bombers, they're absurdly overpriced. I want something I can share with a bunch of friends without breaking the bank. I don't want your kumquat sour gose at $13 a 4-pack, thank you very much. (I do like some specialty beers, but when the Flying Dog Firkin Fridays at Oriole Park at Camden Yards are mostly whacky brews...c'mon guys, your IPA is sublime with crab fries and Boog's BBQ, just serve that on cask...)
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.

Big Monk

« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2017, 07:57:38 am »
I miss the days of a case of Saranac Pale Ale being $30. (Do they still even brew this? I loved this beer, British style PA brewed with Fuggles. Denny would love it.)

I feel like many breweries are starting to price themselves out of existence. I mean it's still just beer, meant to be a simple drink to be enjoyed amongst friends. I love geeking out about beer, but it's going too far. I've stopped buying craft Bombers, they're absurdly overpriced. I want something I can share with a bunch of friends without breaking the bank. I don't want your kumquat sour gose at $13 a 4-pack, thank you very much. (I do like some specialty beers, but when the Flying Dog Firkin Fridays at Oriole Park at Camden Yards are mostly whacky brews...c'mon guys, your IPA is sublime with crab fries and Boog's BBQ, just serve that on cask...)

I'm about 45 minutes from Utica and Saranac still has their Pale Ale. They make some nice beers. Utica club is a guilty pleasure.

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2017, 12:20:47 pm »
Man I still wish Saranac had their Pale Ale down here, usually all I can find is their 12-pack sampler. (Usually a couple IPAs and some fruity beers.)

I may need to look into special ordering some...
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.

Offline Wilbur

• Brewmaster
« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2017, 03:07:40 pm »
1/6 Barrel kegs-$70-100 depending on style

Six packs
Crafty (Goose, Leinie, Blue Moon, etc.) $6.99
Big Craft (Sierra Nevada, Sam Adams, New Belgium)-$7.99-8.99
Most Craft-$8.99-9.99
Weird random craft-$11.99-$14.99/4 pack tallboys (Or worse, 4 pack long necks)

I'm fine with most of it, but some of these places that want to sell a six pack for a bit less than a 12 pack drives me crazy. Especially when it's only for a 4 pack! I can understand when it's for an expensive beer to make (DIPA, RIS), but when it's for your brown ale or pale ale I'm out.

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2017, 10:23:53 am »
I don't buy six packs too often any more but I always buy a lot of cans for the Fourth for our annual vacation with some friends. I was surprised by how many six packs were selling at $10-15 for pretty basic beers (craft lagers, pale ales) without anything exotic to command higher prices.

I guess this is just where the market has gone with $20 four packs of hazy IPA and $40 bottles of pastry stouts.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2017, 09:16:30 pm »
Lotta 4-packs of either 12- or 16-ouncers these days, often running the same $8-$11 as for a 6-pack.  Then a lot of the good beers I might be interested in getting often only come in 22-oz bombers for the most atrocious prices.  But I don't necessarily want to always drink 22 oz at the same time or feel like I have to share it with friends.  Pisses me off.  If I could get 8-packs of 10-ouncers, especially of the specialty beers or strongs of 7% ABV and above, that might make me happier than the packaging options that are usually available for special beers.  Someday when the universe is mine to control, it will be done my way.  Until then, I guess I should just brew and bottle my own.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline 69franx

• Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2017, 09:20:15 pm »
Here, here Dave

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Bloatarian Brewing League - Cincinnati, OH
    • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2017, 09:38:03 pm »
I might buy more sixers if they were marketed as variety packs.  Especially cans... not sure why no one seems to be doing this.   Give me the option to try six different beers from your brewery, not six of the same.

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."
« Last Edit: July 07, 2017, 04:37:09 am by JT »

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #29 on: July 07, 2017, 05:09:03 am »
One of our best local bottle shops allows you to break a six pack. Of course the cost per bottle is more, but you can variety to your heart's content.
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!