Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Yippee!  (Read 3121 times)

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
Yippee!
« on: June 27, 2017, 06:10:24 pm »
Just got back from a trip to the "big city" (Missoula) and I bought a smack pack of WY2308 Munich with a born on date of June 7.  Twenty days ago.  I know this means nothing to you city slickers, but to a guy in the backwoods of Montana, this is the freshest I have seen in 27 years of brewing.

Also bought 16 lbs, of 6-row, and 6 lbs. of flaked maize.  I do believe 10 gallons of 1.048 OG CAP is getting brewed this holiday weekend.

Offline 69franx

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Bloatarian Brewing League
Re: Yippee!
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2017, 06:37:16 pm »
Nice find chumley

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2017, 07:19:25 pm »
Awesome. Would love to see your recipe. I really need to give this style a go.
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2017, 01:10:09 pm »
My recipe is basically the old CAP recipe that Jeff Renner posted on the old Homebrew Digest lo these many years ago.

Target OG 1.050 - 1.055

For 5 gallons, 8 lbs. of 6-row to 3 lbs. of flaked maize usually gets me there.  I may or may not add a half pound of flaked barley or Vienna malt to that.

Target 30 IBUs.  I like 4 additions at 60, 30 15 and 0 min.  Usually Cluster, Styrian Golding, Hallertauer, and Saaz, in that order.  Maybe Northern Brewer for the Styrians or Cluster, although not usually.  I recommend not   skimping on the Cluster, it is essential for that old time beer flavor (Styrians are pretty good for that, too).

Almost any lager yeast works.  I personally like WY2278 Czech pils the best, but you can't go wrong with about anything, 34/70 works great.

I ended up brewing a Helles today instead, but the yeast cakes will be used for the CAP.

Online BrewBama

Yippee!
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2017, 01:49:20 pm »
I found this article on CAP that I find interesting. Especially the American Double Mash.

https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/attachments/0000/1298/SOzym00-Pilsner.pdf

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2017, 03:28:17 pm »
I found this article on CAP that I find interesting. Especially the American Double Mash.

https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/attachments/0000/1298/SOzym00-Pilsner.pdf

Yep, that's the one.  A word on the Double Mash, or the cereal mash as it was called back in the day.  I tried it several times, using grits or poleneta.  I found that I got a better corn flavor from using plain old flaked maize, with no cereal mashing, so I quit doing it. YMMV.

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2017, 04:30:05 pm »

Yep, that's the one.  A word on the Double Mash, or the cereal mash as it was called back in the day.  I tried it several times, using grits or poleneta.  I found that I got a better corn flavor from using plain old flaked maize, with no cereal mashing, so I quit doing it. YMMV.
I really like doing a cereal mash, not just because it is traditional, although that plays a part, but because it smells so good.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline brewsumore

• Brewmaster
  • Spokane, WA
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2017, 11:17:50 am »
Just got back from a trip to the "big city" (Missoula) and I bought a smack pack of WY2308 Munich with a born on date of June 7.  Twenty days ago.  I know this means nothing to you city slickers, but to a guy in the backwoods of Montana, this is the freshest I have seen in 27 years of brewing.

Also bought 16 lbs, of 6-row, and 6 lbs. of flaked maize.  I do believe 10 gallons of 1.048 OG CAP is getting brewed this holiday weekend.

Nice score Chumley.  Hey, as Missoula is my hometown (I live in Spokane now) I'm just curious at which LHBS you got your fresh yeast, and other ingredients.  Thanks.

Steve

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2017, 12:52:39 pm »
Steve, I went to Summer Sun Garden and Brew.  They had just moved from their old location near the Draughtworks brewery to a new location out on Broadway towards Reserve.  While they now have much more space devoted to brewing supplies, I did prefer the old location as it was next door to Draughtworks.

Offline brewsumore

• Brewmaster
  • Spokane, WA
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2017, 01:06:13 pm »
Steve, I went to Summer Sun Garden and Brew.  They had just moved from their old location near the Draughtworks brewery to a new location out on Broadway towards Reserve.  While they now have much more space devoted to brewing supplies, I did prefer the old location as it was next door to Draughtworks.

Very interesting.  Thanks.  I liked their more central location before, although I guess they're banking on being close to the numerous box stores nearby on Reserve -- and probably got out of an expensive lease.  "Hey honey, I'm headed to Costco and Target getting ready for this weekend's dinner with your folks, and guess I'll stop by my LHBS to pick up ingredients to brew hefeweizen, your favorite.  Hmm, might make a kolsch and gose while I'm at it."   :D

Back in the old days I purchased my supplies from Lolo Peak Winery (and Homebrew) - the owners were homebrew club members and buddies as well, and for awhile a few items from Axmen South on the 93 Strip.

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2017, 04:03:56 pm »
I'm so old, I used to buy brew supplies in downtown Missoula at Worden's Market.  They quit selling them a long time ago.

Offline Pelican Brewer

• 1st Kit
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2017, 05:34:46 pm »
Long time reader first time poster. I am also a brewer in Missoula. I think this is the first time I saw any post from Missoula. Just bought my first 50lb bag of 2-row from Summer Sun. I remember the days of Worden's Market. Lots of good brewers in this town.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2017, 12:42:09 pm »

+1 - I've never tried a cereal mash on grits, but I get such a great corn flavor from flaked maize that I just don't see the need.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2017, 12:51:36 pm »

+1 - I've never tried a cereal mash on grits, but I get such a great corn flavor from flaked maize that I just don't see the need.

Same here. I like the flaked maize in cream ale and CAP quite a bit.
Jon H.