Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: About to Start Brewing Regularly  (Read 22056 times)

Offline Sasha

• Brewer
Re: About to Start Brewing Regularly
« Reply #105 on: July 04, 2017, 01:20:51 pm »
Has anyone ever tried baking with these Yeasts? I'm wondering a few things:

Do Yeasts create Esters if baking into bread?
Do these Yeasts create more CO2 than bread Yeast and raise it higher?
What happens when using Distiller's Yeast VS Bakers Yeast?
What happens when using Champagne Yeast VS Bakers Yeast?
Has anyone ever experimented with like 20 different kinds of yeast and recorded results?

Offline Sasha

• Brewer
« Reply #106 on: July 04, 2017, 01:35:42 pm »
And people probably already know this buy Austin Texas has a pretty big brewing and distilling community. There are a bunch of new Vodkas an Ciders coming out of Austin right now, and it is happening in a similar way to how Austin is the Liberal bastion in Texas. It's kind of like a Mecca in Texas for Brewing. So the 3rd Yeast I am getting is going to be from an Austin Cider making company, and they claim that it makes tons of Esters. So I'll start breeding these Yeasts together on a small scale, then eventually I will get a propagator and start create big batches of new strains, and use the smaller batches to test amino acids and different methods to mutate the DNA.

I am going to definitely just do a few runs regularly at first though, I wasn't even going to bring up Yeast breeding and all that because I thought it was way off Topic, but it looks like Denny Bred a strain or breeds strains or something.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #108 on: July 04, 2017, 02:03:07 pm »

Has anyone ever experimented with like 20 different kinds of yeast and recorded results?

Although the yeasts are the same genus (?) they act differently.  Bread yeast has been bred to produce CO2.  Beer yeast has been bred (using the term loosely) to ferment sugars.  They are interchangeable to some extent, but neither will work as well as yeast that was specifically "designed" for the job.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Sasha

• Brewer
« Reply #109 on: July 04, 2017, 02:05:27 pm »

Although the yeasts are the same genus (?) they act differently.  Bread yeast has been bred to produce CO2.  Beer yeast has been bred (using the term loosely) to ferment sugars.  They are interchangeable to some extent, but neither will work as well as yeast that was specifically "designed" for the job.

Yeah, I was trying to find information on it and I couldn't find any examples except for someone saying that they were using Distiller's Yeast to bake on another website, but no pictures or anything. That makes sense that it wouldn't work since all the Yeasts are so different.

Offline Sasha

• Brewer
« Reply #110 on: July 04, 2017, 02:12:52 pm »
And btw, I am also doing this "Breeding Program" with Tobacco, Peppers, Mint (big family of plants) and Marijuana.

With Tobacco their is the stuff Native Americans used for Religious purposes, then there is Commercial Tobacco the Settlers bred and that other people bred around the world once it spread, so that one has all different types and strains. Then there is like Woodland Tobacco and Jasmine Tobacco which aren't supposed to be smoked, then there are plants in Australia that are in the same Genus but different Species. And crossing species is a pretty common stable mix.

With Peppers there are all the different ones, like Ghost Peppers from India, and Carolina Reapers made from Ghost Peppers and some other pepper. Then there are Trinidad Scorpions and Black Cobras, etc. And I have seeds for all of those.

With Mint there is everything from Spearmint, Peppermint and Aquatic Mint, to Catnip and Wild Dagga and Motherwort. First I am going to breed Wild Dagga and Motherwort, then mix others in.

And with MJ there are Indica and Sativa species which are mixed all the time, but then there are African strains which are rarely mixed right now, and then there are Kush strains which come from India/Pakistan/Afghanistan. Then there are South American and Asian strains, as well as Rudaralis.

And on top of all the mixes that can be made naturally there are way to also like create tumors on plants that give them strange DNA. And this method has actually been used in the past to create bigger fruits. There are all kinds of borderline Organic/Borderline GMO things that can be done with plants that were invented by Norman Borlaugh.

But basically I want to do the same thing with Yeast. I will get a collection of Ester-y Yeasts, then get Distiller's Yeast and a few others, then I will start getting different Species of Yeasts and different mutation techniques and see what I can make.

Offline 69franx

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #111 on: July 04, 2017, 03:27:35 pm »
All of a sudden, I have a vivid image of Jeff Goldblum in my head...

... and Weird Al Yankovic singing his parody of the "Jurassic Park" theme song: "... I admit it's kinda eerie, But this proves my chaos theory ..."
I was leaning more towards Mr. Goldblum in The Fly, what with all the talk of teleportation and recombination. But the Jurassic reference fits as well

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: July 04, 2017, 09:37:17 pm by 69franx »
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline Sasha

• Brewer
« Reply #112 on: July 04, 2017, 05:53:19 pm »
I just ordered the WS and ES 123 Yeasts, so I should have it within the next week. It is coming UPS Ground.

And I ordered 500g of each.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #113 on: July 05, 2017, 05:57:19 pm »

Bread yeast produce CO2 from a Source that is low in sacharides and high in starch. The CO2 form the voids in the bread. The lower amounts of alcohol are baked off by the heat.

From a while back, from someone that knows beer and bread.

https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=16945.msg213392#msg213392
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline Sasha

• Brewer
« Reply #114 on: July 06, 2017, 08:34:42 pm »
The Yeast is going to be here in the next few days.

Here is a thread that was supposed to be about the Yeast so that people could look it up in the future because there is not really any reviews or anything of it online
https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=29820.0

I will create a new thread when the Yeast gets here, and if the trolls derail it I will start another one whenever I do the first ferment with it. So, I will get the information out there for anyone who wants to use it, but it will probably be flooded with comments from people that don't want to talk about it, but for some reason are attracted to my threads.

Offline Sasha

• Brewer
« Reply #115 on: July 07, 2017, 06:24:24 pm »
So this is kind of hilarious. I finally found something like a review of one of the Yeasts I got. And it is specifically mentioned as a good strain for making Ciders, lol. So it looks like I was right and it should turn out great.

https://byo.com/stories/issue/item/3479-yeast-selection-for-cider
Enartis Ferm WS: This yeast was originally isolated from an indigenous yeast fermentation of late-harvest Zinfandel at Williams Selyem winery. For aromatic complexity in your cider it might be a good one to try and is very high alcohol tolerant at 18% ABV.

Offline Sasha

• Brewer
« Reply #116 on: July 08, 2017, 02:21:23 pm »
And btw, I was looking through Cider and Apfelwein pages yesterday to see if I could add anything, and it seems like everything is perfect and that everyone says that it is really hard to mess up (and I have never messed up a brew before, so I only added this part for the benefit of you all) an Apple Ferment, and that the Cider process lends itself to experimentation. So it seems like I picked the perfect thing to test different Yeasts and levels of Bubbles and Alc with.

Offline Sasha

• Brewer
« Reply #117 on: July 18, 2017, 07:20:53 am »
I ordered all the Fermenting equipment yesterday. Amylase Enzyme, Spakalloid, 55 Gallon Plastic Blue Barrel, etc.

Offline Sasha

• Brewer
« Reply #118 on: July 29, 2017, 10:55:39 am »
Everything is here now, I just have to fill up the tank and get it started. I will take pictures of everything I have now later today or tomorrow.

Offline 69franx

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #119 on: July 31, 2017, 11:47:49 am »
Where's the pics?
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)