Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: About to Start Brewing Regularly  (Read 22064 times)

Offline Sasha

• Brewer
Re: About to Start Brewing Regularly
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2017, 04:45:52 pm »
You might want to add a book like "How to Brew" to your lists.  You seem to have a lot to learn.

Lol. That's why I am on this website and putting this thread together.  :P

And there are plenty of things in this thread that don't seem to be anywhere else on the site.

If you don't have anything to add that is of actual value, then don't even click "reply".

Offline Sasha

• Brewer
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2017, 04:49:06 pm »
There is probably a yeast section somewhere, but I just thought I would add this.

Yeast reproduces through Horizontal Gene Transfer, which allows for things like Synthetic Yeast Chromosomes. So using 2 kinds of yeast or more at once can start a yeast culture that is your own.

Here is information on creating a yeast culture:
http://www.greydragon.org/library/culturing_yeast.html

Offline Sasha

• Brewer
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2017, 04:52:33 pm »
You might want to add a book like "How to Brew" to your lists.  You seem to have a lot to learn.

And btw, I looked up the book, I am not really interested in making beer right now. Just Wine, Cider, Champagne, etc. I will make beer after a few months of brewing Wine and stuff regularly.

I'm sure it is a great book about beer, but that's not what I am trying to brew right now.
https://www.brewerspublications.com/books/how-to-brew/

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2017, 04:57:55 pm »

And btw, I looked up the book, I am not really interested in making beer right now. Just Wine, Cider, Champagne, etc. I will make beer after a few months of brewing Wine and stuff regularly.

I'm sure it is a great book about beer, but that's not what I am trying to brew right now.
https://www.brewerspublications.com/books/how-to-brew/

This site is pretty much dedicated to beer so you may not get a lot of response or interest.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Big Monk

About to Start Brewing Regularly
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2017, 05:08:29 pm »
Can you maybe pause on the posts until you get a response back first.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2017, 05:13:12 pm by Big Monk »

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2017, 05:11:43 pm »
Yes please spare me. If I have to see this thread at the top of my Tapatalk feed one more time I give up on forums all together.

This is pure Google diarrhea.

Um, Wheaton's Law.....
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Big Monk

« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2017, 05:12:11 pm »
Yes please spare me. If I have to see this thread at the top of my Tapatalk feed one more time I give up on forums all together.

This is pure Google diarrhea.

Um, Wheaton's Law.....

Understood. I'll edit.

Offline Sasha

• Brewer
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2017, 05:17:03 pm »
I'll make beer eventually. I have only made Wine like 4-5 times in 1 Gallon Containers. So I want to make some 5-10 Gallon batches of Wine, Cider, Banana Wine, Champagne, etc. Then I will make some beer, probably Banana Beer first, since it wouldn't be a big leap. Then from there I will get CO2 equipment, and get a big pot for boiling grains and all that.

I am just putting this thread together now so that when we move into our new place around the first (in just a few days) I have everything in one place, and then people in the future will all have it in one place also. Then they can also see how it turned out in a few months. And I will be using Distiller's Yeast on a few batches, so they will only take about a week to make.

I'll get to beer eventually, I just want to make stuff to make Sangria and everything right now for 3 people to drink.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2017, 05:22:30 pm by Sasha »

Offline Sasha

• Brewer
« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2017, 05:37:47 pm »
And most people would consider Cider to be kind of like beer. I know it technically isn't, but most people probably consider Beer, Cider, Smirnoff and Hard Lemonade to all be in the same category, just for different purposes or preferences. Even though they aren't beer, I am pretty sure that a lot of people on here are probably making Cider and everything. Maybe not a lot of Wine, but not just beer.

Offline Sasha

• Brewer
« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2017, 05:59:45 pm »
Most people on this website probably know about this, just posting it so I and anyone else who needs it has a link. Stevia can be used to sweeten things that you would want to be sweet. Yeast eats sugar, and if you add sugar to your bottles, it is likely that there is at least a little Yeast left, and the added sugar will displace the Volume, which means that the Yeast will come back to life and eat the sugar and reach its alcohol/volume threshold. So you have to use Stevia if you want to sweeten something. And it is used all the time as a health supplement as a Sugar Replacement, similar to how there are Salts that have the Sodium replaced with Potassium to lower Sodium intake. But it can also be used to Sweeten alcohol since it doesn't get broken down by yeast like Sugar does.
https://www.vitacost.com/wisdom-natural-sweetleaf-stevia-sweetener-4-oz-7?csrc=GPF-PA-Food%20%26%20Beverages-716123125949&ci_gpa=pla&ci_kw=&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=716123125949&csrc=GPF-PA&mtp=sK2wo0jmA-dc|pcrid|97670541013|product|716123125949&gclid=CKjE4Meb39QCFRS4wAodEXcDsA

Offline Sasha

• Brewer
« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2017, 06:45:31 pm »
Here is a video about how to make really clean Banana Juice for Banana Wine and Banana Beer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9sS2MT21sc

Amylase Enzyme
https://www.amazon.com/Strange-Brew-F9-QRNM-WIPD-Amylase-enzyme/dp/B006O93SYQ

And you could probably use Bubble bags for the second step, that is what I will most likely do.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2017, 06:47:55 pm by Sasha »

Offline Sasha

• Brewer
« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2017, 07:00:53 pm »
I will probably get at least 3 of these in July
https://www.amazon.com/Kegco-KC-FP-CB-06-Carboy-gallon/dp/B00JWYRGU2/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1498611429&sr=8-4&keywords=5+gallon+carboy

And probably a keg in the next few months so I can try pumping CO2 into things.

Offline JJeffers09

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2017, 08:50:58 am »
Do you have any questions? Recipes you would like any of us to take a look at?  Any methods or techniques you would like to discuss?  Any issues in your process?  Do you have any equipment that you think you need?

At one end I am wondering if you are just lost, and are drawing on any information you find.  Then have not found a way to apply it.  At the other end I feel like you are almost trying to blow up your own thread.

You said you have made, "Alcohol" before.  But have you made wine and beer?  I can't seem to find out what level your at.  Most of us are more than willing to help you find your niche in this hobby, we just need to know how to help you.
"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

AHA Member
Indiana Brewers Union (IBU)

Offline Sasha

• Brewer
« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2017, 03:18:30 pm »
Do you have any questions? Recipes you would like any of us to take a look at?  Any methods or techniques you would like to discuss?  Any issues in your process?  Do you have any equipment that you think you need?

At one end I am wondering if you are just lost, and are drawing on any information you find.  Then have not found a way to apply it.  At the other end I feel like you are almost trying to blow up your own thread.

You said you have made, "Alcohol" before.  But have you made wine and beer?  I can't seem to find out what level your at.  Most of us are more than willing to help you find your niche in this hobby, we just need to know how to help you.

I do have a few questions.

Ok, so I have  made Wine, with various fruits and sugar. And I know I can make Cider, or Wine again, or Champagne (Just the Bottle Fermenting stage), and all that. But I was looking at Banana Beer, and while it explains that you Juice the Bananas, then ferment them. And I found the Amylase Enzyme method of Juicing a Banana, so I think I will probably do that and then use Bubble Bags (Silk Screens) to strain out the solids. Then I will ferment it, and then maybe do a Champagne type fermenting stage, to create the Bubbles. Or eventually just get a Keg and pump the CO2 in.

The only recipe I found that goes into detail is the Bananas Foster recipe on a another website, and I might be interested in doing that, but I am not sure how difficult that would be really and would rather do a few 5-10 Gallon runs of Cider and Wine and Champagne and everything before I make a beer, and I need to get a big pot and a Keg and everything still too. So I will make the other things first, but that one looks interesting.

And what do you guys think about using Bananas, and a Banana Yeast? Has anyone ever heard of anyone doing that? And I have read about people using Graham Crackers and stuff in the ferment in order to get other flavors, like Banana Bread and everything, and I was wondering what all can be used that way, have people used baking mixes and things like that?

Also I am going to be making some stuff with Distiller's Yeast, does anyone have an opinion on what fruits work best with it? I have used Pineapple, Pear, Raisins and just Sugar (the first time I tested it). But does anyone have any information on the best things to use with Distiller's Yeast?

Offline Sasha

• Brewer
« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2017, 04:07:55 pm »
Also, you know how Bitter Orange has Octopamine and Synephrine, so it has the stimulant effect. And hops has Myrcene, most people don't realize it is an analgesic and primer for other Moleculces crossing the Blood Brain Barrier.

Is there a lot of discussion on this website anywhere about any of that? And CYP450 Enzymes, and Glutathione. Is there any discussion about things like that anywhere?