Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: DSM Clarex  (Read 3145 times)

Offline JJeffers09

• Senior Brewmaster
DSM Clarex
« on: June 27, 2017, 08:28:29 am »
Is anyone familiar with this product?  I am looking into this as a solution for gluten reduced, gluten free beers.  It has been said it "breaks down" gluten. The enzyme doesn't actually remove the gluten from the beer instead, it actually breaks down the large gluten molecule into "undetectable" pieces of the original molecule. The idea of, to small to be detected in laboratory tests according to those making these beers, then those particles should be too small for your body to detect (and react to) as gluten.

From BSG:

Brewers Clarex® is a one-of-kind beer stabilization technology that can eliminate the costly and environmentally damaging cold stabilization process. Efficient, simple and cost-effective, this brewing enzyme offers a natural way to increase your maturation production capacity and shorten your processing time. Brewers Clarex® is also ideal for gluten reduced beer production; Proline Specific Endo-protease - the active ingredient in Brewers Clarex - breaks down the gluten in malted barley.

Also the added benefits of this stability:

Prevents chill haze in beer
Reduces costs by eliminating cold stabilization phase - (Not relatable for us homebrewers)
Proven to have no compromise on taste, foam and other beer quality parameters
Extremely easy to use and integrate into existing processes
Compatible with cross-flow membrane filtration technology - (Not relatable for us homebrewers)

Downsides that I see:
There isn't anything I have found that states with blind testing that this does or does not affect people with celiacs disease.
5kg package
I will need to learn how to dose it out:
% of Malt in grist
°P / % of Malt
g and mL/hL eventually scaled down to <=.33-BBL (14gal post chill - my maximum)

So for anyone using it, or having tried a beer with it, what are your thoughts?
"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

AHA Member
Indiana Brewers Union (IBU)

The Beerery

Re: DSM Clarex
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2017, 08:38:14 am »
I doubt you will find anyone here that has used it since its only available commercially. I suggest you ask on probrewer. I have access to it, but have had no reason to use it as of yet.

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2017, 09:06:37 am »
Clarex and ClarityFerm are the same although dosage may vary.  I believe Clarex is not  sold in the US except to White Labs who repackage it as Clarity Ferm.

I've had good results with ClaritfyFerm in that mildly gluten intolerant people haven't had issues with my treated beers.  I use the microbrewer sized amount of Clarity Ferm.

Sent from my XT1095 using Tapatalk

Offline JJeffers09

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2017, 09:21:28 am »
So it is officially the same product?

How is the stability of your beers Kramerog?
"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

AHA Member
Indiana Brewers Union (IBU)

The Beerery

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2017, 09:53:48 am »
Clarex and ClarityFerm are the same although dosage may vary.  I believe Clarex is not  sold in the US except to White Labs who repackage it as Clarity Ferm.

I've had good results with ClaritfyFerm in that mildly gluten intolerant people haven't had issues with my treated beers.  I use the microbrewer sized amount of Clarity Ferm.

How is it the same if the dosages are different?

Clarex is available to all commercial brewers in the US.

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2017, 10:50:56 am »

How is it the same if the dosages are different?

Clarex is available to all commercial brewers in the US.
Dilution

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2017, 11:31:02 am »
http://www.whitelabs.com/other-products/wln4000-clarity-ferm clarifies - no pun intended - that White Labs is certified (licensed) to make a diluted version of Clarex so there is no reason to believe that they act differently other than dosage.

Stability of my Clarity-Ferm treated beers has been the same as my untreated beers. 

Clarity Ferm can be purchased in commercial brewer quantities from YeastMan.

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2017, 01:01:26 pm »
Here is a calculator and more info for Clarity Ferm and Clarex: http://www.whitelabs.com/other-products/wln4000-clarity-ferm.

Contrary to previous guidance, the calculator indicates that increased dosing is necessary for hoppy beers and wheat beers.

The Beerery

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2017, 01:33:19 pm »
Here is the dosage calc, the outlines all that.

https://bsgcraftbrewing.com/dsm-brewers-clarex-1kg