Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Iodophor question  (Read 1643 times)

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
Iodophor question
« on: June 28, 2017, 11:17:24 am »
It is often recommended that one should switch up the sanitizer one uses.  So I am doing that with iodophor.  I see though it says one should avoid contact with skin.  Really?  I don't want a sanitizer I can't get on my hands, that would be too much of a hassle.  Can I get my hands in this stuff at proper dilution?
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline JJeffers09

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Iodophor question
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2017, 11:20:12 am »
That's not accurate.  Iodophor is safe for contact with skin just not for prolonged periods of time.. the same is said about dish soap fyi.  Iodophor in a brewhouse is the same as used in surgical sterilization or prep for the skin.

I should say its the same 'family' of sterilizer.

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: June 28, 2017, 11:21:55 am by JJeffers09 »
"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

AHA Member
Indiana Brewers Union (IBU)

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2017, 11:21:06 am »
Thank you
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline Steve L

• Brewmaster
  • Rocky Mount, VA
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2017, 12:20:57 pm »
That's not accurate.  Iodophor is safe for contact with skin just not for prolonged periods of time.. the same is said about dish soap fyi.  Iodophor in a brewhouse is the same as used in surgical sterilization or prep for the skin.

I should say its the same 'family' of sterilizer.

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk
Very true, and having worked in the medical industry for 20 years, I can tell you the concentration of iodine used for medical antiseptic purposes is WAY higher than iodophor. The skin irritation warning is definitely overstated. :)
« Last Edit: June 28, 2017, 12:58:35 pm by Steve L »
Corripe Cervisiam

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2017, 01:05:48 pm »
On another note, if you wear rings or other jewelry that might come in contact with the Iodophor, the metals in an item may react in a discoloration of the item, depending on its composition and the level of dilution.  No harm to the wearer, I should think, but it is worth noting, if you simply want to remove the ring or other jewelry that you typically wear to avoid any discoloration issues.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"