Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Pressurized transfers are amazing  (Read 3114 times)

Offline thcipriani

• Assistant Brewer
Pressurized transfers are amazing
« on: June 28, 2017, 01:52:33 pm »
It probably seems like a trivial reason to own a conical, but no-worry pressurized transfers are definitely my favorite thing about my conical. I used to use a sterile siphon starter, but I still had endless worries about oxidation and about my racking cane's connection to the transfer hose...and when I used a carboy cap with a CO2 hose barb I was always worried that some clog would dramatically explode my carboy, sending huge glass shards flying in all directions. Anyway, I guess what I'm saying is that conicals are neat and my conical has been my favorite brewing purchase in recent memory in terms of piece of mind.

Tyler Cipriani
Longmont, CO
http://gangsta.party/

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
Re: Pressurized transfers are amazing
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2017, 02:59:57 pm »
If you want to make another incremental improvement: use a barbed swivel nut to connect your liquid tubing to a disconnect seated on your keg liquid out post and connect some tubing to a gas disconnect on the gas in post and run it into a container of sanitizer.

That way you can keep your keg lid completely closed and ditch the tin foil.

Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2017, 03:05:49 pm »
I have been wanting to move in this direction. I have tried a non pressurized transfer to a purged keg with lid on  but liquid ends up leaking out of the keg disconnect due to lack of pressure to seal the connection.

I wonder if this method would work for Speidels and other similar plastic fermenters. Anyone have any experience with that? I assume at a low pressure it would be fine. Don't mean to go off topic...
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

The Beerery

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2017, 04:52:24 pm »
I have been wanting to move in this direction. I have tried a non pressurized transfer to a purged keg with lid on  but liquid ends up leaking out of the keg disconnect due to lack of pressure to seal the connection.

I wonder if this method would work for Speidels and other similar plastic fermenters. Anyone have any experience with that? I assume at a low pressure it would be fine. Don't mean to go off topic...
You mean a closed transfer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline juggabrew303

• Assistant Brewer
Pressurized transfers are amazing
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2017, 05:10:33 pm »
If you want to make another incremental improvement: use a barbed swivel nut to connect your liquid tubing to a disconnect seated on your keg liquid out post and connect some tubing to a gas disconnect on the gas in post and run it into a container of sanitizer.

This.  I haven't hooked my gas post to a bucket of Starsan though. I just pop the press relief valve open. 

« Last Edit: June 28, 2017, 05:12:28 pm by juggabrew303 »

Offline juggabrew303

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2017, 05:13:30 pm »
It probably seems like a trivial reason to own a conical, but no-worry pressurized transfers are definitely my favorite thing about my conical. I used to use a sterile siphon starter, but I still had endless worries about oxidation and about my racking cane's connection to the transfer hose...and when I used a carboy cap with a CO2 hose barb I was always worried that some clog would dramatically explode my carboy, sending huge glass shards flying in all directions. Anyway, I guess what I'm saying is that conicals are neat and my conical has been my favorite brewing purchase in recent memory in terms of piece of mind.

This is exactly the reason I want a conical. 

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2017, 06:16:50 pm »

Sure. I like the sound of that.
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

The Beerery

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2017, 06:38:00 pm »

Sure. I like the sound of that.

Ahh ok, here:

http://www.lowoxygenbrewing.com/brewing-methods/fermenter-to-keg-spunding/

Offline thcipriani

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2017, 07:29:08 pm »

Whoa, living in the future :D

Would be cool to do this and/or spunding valve counter pressure kinda deal.

Soooo I guess I need to find something to connect my 1/2" conical ball-valve to 3/16" tubing...
Tyler Cipriani
Longmont, CO
http://gangsta.party/

Offline blair.streit

• Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2017, 11:14:32 am »
Also based on recent emails it sounds like SS Brewtech is releasing 14G Unitanks in a couple months and *may* announce a 7G version late this year.

I'd love to be able to ferment, cold crash, drop yeast, fine and carbonate in a single pressurized vessel before putting into the final serving keg. Hope they do it!