Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Biodiesel Inductor  (Read 6470 times)

Offline Sasha

• Brewer
Re: Biodiesel Inductor
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2017, 12:36:40 am »
What is the largest container anyone reading this has ever seen anyone use? (Apart from Commercial/Industrial Containers)

And has anyone used a tote? I have thought about this before, but now that I am going to get these I won't need to do it, but has anyone ever used a 10 Gallon tote or something, and drilled a hole and put a Airlock bubbler or a tube bubbler, and done 10 Gallon batches that way? Or used a Trashcan? Like those big trashcans that you see in hallways of stadiums, or that you think of janitors using and stuff. They come in like 10 Gallon to 50 Gallon sizes, and I assume that if you drilled a hole in the top and did the Airlock or the tube, and maybe duct tape the sides down and create an airtight lock with the duct tape to make sure that you can see that it is airtight rather than hope it is. And maybe Caulk the tube or Airlock on. Then you could use one of those too.

https://www.uline.com/Product/Detail/H-3687BL/Trash-Cans/Uline-Waste-Container-32-Gallon-Black?pricode=WA9597&gadtype=pla&id=H-3687BL&gclid=CNqUrrj25NQCFUWewAodQ6YJNQ&gclsrc=aw.ds

I know people use these, and at about $4/ea for 10, that's about $40 to have 50 extra Gallons that can be 10 different recipes going all at once, and it wouldn't even cost much to fill up each one.

https://www.uline.com/BL_8188/5-Gallon-Economy-Pail

So say I got a 55 Gallon, 2-3x 6 Gallon Glass Carboys, and 10x 5 Gallon buckets. I could do 55 Gallons of Cider, 2-3x 6 Gallon Beers or Secondary Ferments, and 10x 5 Gallons of Wine, Banana Beer, etc. going all at once, and it wouldn't even cost much for all the supplies. I could just go to Home Depot and get tubes, and something to make holes for the tubes, and some Caulk to make sure it is airtight. The duct tape just to seal it all up. And that's 117 or 123 Gallons total. So the hardest part really would be bottling, and I could find an alternative bottling method similar to barrel storage, but cheaper. I'm sure there is some kind of alternative. Even those Blue Water containers that go on Officer Water Coolers might work, depending what they are made of.

Offline Andor

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2017, 08:40:18 am »
Are you against using typical brewing equipment? You will end up with better and likely cheaper equipment by using things specifically designed for brewing.

A basic starter kit will give you all you need to start brewing 5 gallon batches. You can add additional fermenters later. They make them geared toward beer or wine. Linked here is an example of a beer kit.

https://www.morebeer.com/products/homebrew-starter-kit.html

Offline Sasha

• Brewer
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2017, 10:56:26 am »
Are you against using typical brewing equipment? You will end up with better and likely cheaper equipment by using things specifically designed for brewing.

A basic starter kit will give you all you need to start brewing 5 gallon batches. You can add additional fermenters later. They make them geared toward beer or wine. Linked here is an example of a beer kit.

https://www.morebeer.com/products/homebrew-starter-kit.html

I am going to be using some regular things, like the Airlocks, and I will probably make a Yeast Starter and with eventually get a Magnetic Stir Plate and everything so I can do that. And I will be using Yeast meant for this, and Fruit meant for this. I am just going to use my own containers.

That's way too much for 5 Gallons. I have already used both a Carboy and just a Tampico Bottle, and as long as the container is Polyethylene it should be ok. And I am brewing for 3+ people regularly, and then possibly other people as well. So 5 Gallons for $70, and only being able to brew 1 thing at a time at that size just won't work.

I am probably going to get a Blue Polyethylene Drum and do 55 Gallon batches of Cider, and then get 2x 6 Gallon Carboys for Beer and a few 5 Gallon Buckets. All I will have to do is get something to make holes in the tops, and then Caulk, then I will Caulk the Airlock into the top. Or I will use a tube and do the tube that goes into a container of water method, and then Caulk the tube to the container. And I will make sure the Airlock or Tube are pretty much Airtight in the hole already and I'll put something around it before I Caulk to make sure that it doesn't get on the inside of the container and leech into anything I brew.

That way I can make a 55 Gallon batch, and we can get some kind of container to move maybe 5 Gallons into at a time or a Keg, and then bottle some with stronger yeast to make Cider Champagne, and bottle the rest or put it in some kind of container and put it in our basement (they get cold here in Colorado). And while that is going I can make 1x or 2x or 3x 5 Gallons of Distiller's Yeast while the Cider Ferments, and have Bananas breaking down with Amylase Enzyme and Fermenting all together in another container. And I can use the 6 Gallon Carboys for Wine too, until I start making Beer, then I will use those for Beer.

Offline GS

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2017, 11:11:13 am »
Are blue polyethylene drums food safe? And what about caulking?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Offline Sasha

• Brewer
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2017, 11:12:21 am »
Cider is pretty simple, so it should be ok. Here is the Yeast I am going to use:
http://shop-usa.enartis.com/enartis-ferm-ws-2

Offline Sasha

• Brewer
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2017, 11:14:27 am »
Are blue polyethylene drums food safe? And what about caulking?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Yes, they sell 30 Gallon trash cans as "ingredients containers", and Blue Drums are the go to container for shipping massive quantities of liquid, even in the food industry. And they make all kinds of Caulks for all kinds of specific uses, so yes.

Offline Sasha

• Brewer
« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2017, 11:22:57 am »
And I am still looking for exactly what base Cider Yeast I am going to use. But about half of the 55 Gallons will be used to make Cider Champagne with the WS.

Offline Sasha

• Brewer
« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2017, 11:26:06 am »
But if I can't find a good like 12% ABV Fruity Cider Yeast, I will just do the WS for all of it.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2017, 11:34:20 am »
Cider ferments so dry that type of yest makes very little difference.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Sasha

• Brewer
« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2017, 11:37:49 am »
Cider ferments so dry that type of yest makes very little difference.

I was planning on using Stevia, but not on everything at first, I want to try it first, and Malic Acid. And I am definitely going to add Cinnamon Sticks to the Ferment, and that adds a good flavor.

Offline Sasha

• Brewer
« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2017, 11:40:10 am »
And I will use a little Brown Sugar too.

Offline Sasha

• Brewer
« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2017, 11:46:14 am »
And if it all Ferments Dry anyways, then I will probably just go with the WS. It looks like a really good strain for Cider. I just have to maybe do a smaller batch with something else first to make the Champagne, maybe I will use the 6 Gallon Carboys for that until I start making Beer.

Offline Sasha

• Brewer
« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2017, 11:49:28 am »
And eventually I want to try to do an Apple Cider with Banana Beer, mixed into one drink.

Apple is Malic Acid, Banana is Isoamyl Acetate. I am also going to try a Perry, but I might do that in the 6 Gallon or a 5 Gallon, because I am not sure where I will get 55 Gallons of Pear Juice or Pear Concentrate mainly.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2017, 11:51:26 am »
And I will use a little Brown Sugar too.

That will make it it drier and add no flavor.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2017, 11:52:21 am »
And eventually I want to try to do an Apple Cider with Banana Beer, mixed into one drink.

Apple is Malic Acid, Banana is Isoamyl Acetate. I am also going to try a Perry, but I might do that in the 6 Gallon or a 5 Gallon, because I am not sure where I will get 55 Gallons of Pear Juice or Pear Concentrate mainly.

You may have TTb issues with that idea.  Seriously, guy, you need to talk to a lawyer who knows this stuff.

www.dennybrew.com