Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Cathedral of Beer: Low Oxygen Trappist Ales  (Read 3906 times)

Big Monk

Cathedral of Beer: Low Oxygen Trappist Ales
« on: June 29, 2017, 12:32:30 pm »
I put some of my thoughts on Brewing Low Oxygen Trappist ales in a blog post at our site:

http://www.lowoxygenbrewing.com/uncategorized/low-oxygen-trappist/

Offline bayareabrewer

• Brewmaster
Re: Cathedral of Beer: Low Oxygen Trappist Ales
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2017, 05:48:33 pm »
didn't bottle spunding go out of fashion around 1920 for very good reasons?

Big Monk

Cathedral of Beer: Low Oxygen Trappist Ales
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2017, 06:01:11 pm »

What would those reasons be?

EDIT: I assure all of you, with a proper FFT and careful monitoring of fermentation progress, bottle bombs are not a concern.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2017, 03:06:18 am by Big Monk »

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2017, 10:40:40 pm »
ok - again - Wheaton's law on y'all. Seriously stop with the sniping and the responding to sniping. It's making for a crap environment.

Thank you - the kinda sorta maybe managment.
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Big Monk

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2017, 03:06:39 am »
ok - again - Wheaton's law on y'all. Seriously stop with the sniping and the responding to sniping. It's making for a crap environment.

Thank you - the kinda sorta maybe managment.

Made edits to my previous post.

Offline bayareabrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2017, 10:00:03 am »

EDIT: I assure all of you, with a proper FFT and careful monitoring of fermentation progress, bottle bombs are not a concern.

Yes, in a strict, controlled brewery setting with access to measurement that is out of the reach of virtually all homebrewers, which I'm sure you have, it can be done, but for 99.999 percent of homebrewers, bottle spunding is extremely dangerous. Your advice might actually be taken by someone and someone will get hurt.

Big Monk

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2017, 10:08:53 am »

Yes, in a strict, controlled brewery setting with access to measurement that is out of the reach of virtually all homebrewers, which I'm sure you have, it can be done, but for 99.999 percent of homebrewers, bottle spunding is extremely dangerous. Your advice might actually be taken by someone and someone will get hurt.

I understand your concern but FFTs and gravity readings are not out of the realm of possibility for 99.999% of home brewers.

Offline bayareabrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2017, 11:25:10 am »

I understand your concern but FFTs and gravity readings are not out of the realm of possibility for 99.999% of home brewers.

I encourage you to reach out to brewers at Anchor Steam, which is probably the largest and most QC focused brewery currently using a form of bottle spunding. Forced fermentation tests and gravity are only a small portion of what they do to make bottle spunding safe.

Offline bayareabrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2017, 11:27:16 am »
While you may be able to get lucky bottle spunding with that, you are playing with glass and pressure, and its not something that should be approached to haphazardly.

Big Monk

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2017, 11:41:27 am »
While you may be able to get lucky bottle spunding with that, you are playing with glass and pressure, and its not something that should be approached to haphazardly.

I'd say a FFT with wort and yeast pulled from the fermenting batch (same yeast and wort composition) and calibrated test equipment (hydrometer or refractometer) are more than sufficient for safety purposes.

Also it should be noted that in the same writeup I advocate for carbonating lower than is traditional for this style.

Did you get anything else out of the article? Was it a good read at least?

Offline bayareabrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2017, 11:45:38 am »

I'd say a FFT with wort and yeast pulled from the fermenting batch (same yeast and wort composition) and calibrated test equipment (hydrometer or refractometer) are more than sufficient for safety purposes.

Also it should be noted that in the same writeup I advocate for carbonating lower than is traditional for this style.

yes, you have excellent grammar, but it is dangerous advice that relies on insufficient testing to ensure safe bottling practices

Offline bayareabrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2017, 11:47:02 am »

educated brewing professionals think otherwise.

Big Monk

« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2017, 11:47:54 am »

yes, you have excellent grammar, but it is dangerous advice that relies on insufficient testing to ensure safe bottling practices

That's your opinion and you are certainly entitled to it.

narvin

« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2017, 12:18:56 pm »

Who are these people?  What do they say exactly?  It would be helpful to post it here, unlike these non-helpful posts you generally have.

I have not bottle-spunded but I trust the results of a FFT.

Big Monk

« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2017, 12:27:24 pm »

Who are these people?  What do they say exactly?  It would be helpful to post it here, unlike these non-helpful posts you generally have.

I have not bottle-spunded but I trust the results of a FFT.

That's what I'm driving at. When you pull a portion of actively fermenting beer off the main batch, you are running your FFT with that same beer. I trust that number, especially when it comes to bottling.