Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Grain  (Read 2853 times)

Offline BairsBrewing

• Assistant Brewer
Grain
« on: June 29, 2017, 12:58:33 pm »
So my LHBS closed because they extended too much credit to local breweries who didn't pay up.  Sad too because they had just expanded;  not enough capital I'm sure.  Where do you get grain? Looking took buy a base malt for multiple varieties and specialties for color/body. Suggestions?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Offline Frankenbrew

• Brewmaster
Re: Grain
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2017, 05:20:38 pm »
I buy from MoreBeer online. They sell all grains at decent prices in 55, 50, 10, 5, and 1 lb sizes. And, any from 10 lbs. on down ship for free provided you order $59 worth of supplies. I buy in bulk which gives me flexibility to brew whatever I feel like on any given day and keeps the cost of my beer way down.
Frank C.

And thereof comes the proverb: 'Blessing of your
heart, you brew good ale.'

Offline BairsBrewing

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2017, 06:14:43 pm »
I buy from MoreBeer online. They sell all grains at decent prices in 55, 50, 10, 5, and 1 lb sizes. And, any from 10 lbs. on down ship for free provided you order $59 worth of supplies. I buy in bulk which gives me flexibility to brew whatever I feel like on any given day and keeps the cost of my beer way down.
That's where I was leaning towards. I used to use Breiss only. What do you use?

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Grain
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2017, 04:31:33 am »
I now use Great Fermentation because they ship fast at a flat rate and sell grain in increments of a pound.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Lazy Ant Brewing

• Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2017, 09:26:19 am »
I don't know where you're located, but some brewpubs or small breweries will sell grains at their cost as long as you buy a full sack.  It might be worth a drive if you could save on shipping.

I bought a 50 lb. bag of base malt at my favorite brew pub for $42.50 with no shipping involved. 

And some home brew clubs will do a bulk order once or twice a year at more favorable prices than you could normally get on line.

The malt I'm using is Cargill special pale which is used mostly for ales.

It's easier to read brewing books and get information from the forum than to sacrifice virgins to appease the brewing gods when bad beer happens!

Offline BairsBrewing

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2017, 09:36:14 am »
I don't know where you're located, but some brewpubs or small breweries will sell grains at their cost as long as you buy a full sack.  It might be worth a drive if you could save on shipping.

I bought a 50 lb. bag of base malt at my favorite brew pub for $42.50 with no shipping involved. 

And some home brew clubs will do a bulk order once or twice a year at more favorable prices than you could normally get on line.

I'm south of Seattle. I'm in a Homebrew club but we were displaced when the HBS closed; they just found a new place but don't think they do grain orders. Didn't think about the brewery option, I'll definitely look into that.

Offline Visor

• Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2017, 05:07:34 pm »
 I frequently buy from Williams, they sometimes have a lower price than More Stuff, being on the west coast the shipping should be comparable. Williams definitely has the best prices on bottle caps, especially when purchased in large quantities.
I spent most of my money on beer, tools and guns, the rest I foolishly squandered on stupid stuff!

Offline Ellismr

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2017, 05:54:49 pm »
I use Maryland homebrew they offer a 10% discount to AHA and military member plus they ship almost anything for free. 
https://www.mdhb.com/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Brew what you like & brew often.

Offline EnkAMania

• Brewer
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2017, 11:11:42 pm »

I'm south of Seattle. I'm in a Homebrew club but we were displaced when the HBS closed; they just found a new place but don't think they do grain orders. Didn't think about the brewery option, I'll definitely look into that.

You could become a member/owner of Flying Bike Coop Brewery and get a bag for $40
Some day we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny

Offline BairsBrewing

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2017, 11:52:08 pm »

You could become a member/owner of Flying Bike Coop Brewery and get a bag for $40
What about shipping?

Offline EnkAMania

• Brewer
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2017, 09:34:16 am »

What about shipping?

You'd have to pick it up at the brewery
Some day we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny

Offline Frankenbrew

• Brewmaster
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2017, 06:06:39 pm »
That's where I was leaning towards. I used to use Breiss only. What do you use?

They carry almost everything: Breiss, Weyermann, Bairds, Canada Malting, Great Western. I use Great Western Pale, Breiss pilsen, Weyermann Munich, Bairds crystal, and a spate of various specialty malts
Frank C.

And thereof comes the proverb: 'Blessing of your
heart, you brew good ale.'