Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Texas Microbreweries  (Read 3708 times)

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
Re: Texas Microbreweries
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2010, 12:48:52 pm »
Alaska has the advantage of being cold and having long stretches of it.
They also have long streches of "dark" that goes with the cold in Alaska.  

Back to Texas.  Some states with less population density would include Vermont, Colorado, and Oregon.  To me it is more about the beer culture than the population density, or lack of.

I have spent a lot of time in Texas, as the BIL lives there.  He lives in the Rio Grand Valley.  Talk about a craft beer wasteland.  Austin is not so bad, and we love the Gingerman.  The Texas craft scene reminds me of Michigan 10 or 12 years ago.

Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2010, 12:51:11 pm »
To me it is more about the beer culture than the population density, or lack of.

Amen to this.. The LA metro area has somewhere around 13 million people. We're by far the biggest West Coast metro area and we have the crappiest beer culture.

Fortunately that too is changing.
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline dirk_mclargehuge

• Cellarman
    • Wort's Going On Here?
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2010, 03:17:28 pm »
Part of the problem IMO is that Texas is such a large state. Populated but really spread out once one leaves the major population centers- BTW we have three cities in the Nation's top ten. We should have more Breweries. Period. ;)

I might agree with the spread out and large part if the whole Alaskan beer scene did not exist. 

You are correct that Texas could use more breweries, but the market has to be there. 
Frankly, I'm amazed there aren't any brewpubs on I-20 between Abilene and El Paso.  I imagine Midland/Odessa could support a brewpub.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2010, 04:12:34 pm »
I was just up in Midland. It also is a wasteland. There were some of the more popular breweries represented like New Belgium etc at the fancy HEB there but my local "ghetto-B" has a better selection. Typical 4/5 of the aisle was Bud, Miller and Coors.

That city is crazy conservative so I wasn't too surprised. Reminds me of why I dislike going there.   
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline dirk_mclargehuge

• Cellarman
    • Wort's Going On Here?
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2010, 04:55:17 pm »
I was just up in Midland. It also is a wasteland. There were some of the more popular breweries represented like New Belgium etc at the fancy HEB there but my local "ghetto-B" has a better selection. Typical 4/5 of the aisle was Bud, Miller and Coors.

That city is crazy conservative so I wasn't too surprised. Reminds me of why I dislike going there.   
There are a couple of good beer bars, that I visit when I'm there.  Not a huge selection, but more than BMC.  And The Wine Rack liquor store has an impressive Belgian selection.