Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Trappist Yeasts  (Read 25270 times)

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Trappist Yeasts
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2017, 10:55:49 pm »
It's an acquired taste. Some hate, some like, some love.

Is the Fruit/Bubblegum Flavor strong or is it more like "a hint of..."?
Depends

Offline udubdawg

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2017, 06:54:52 am »
is OP asking about a specific strain, or Trappist beers?  Because it doesn't seem to have sunk in that there is more than a single flavor profile, at least from the repeated references to "it"

FWIW "Brew Like A Monk" might still be my favorite brewing book.  Stan is one of those people where no matter how much I think I know, when he starts talking I shut up and listen.

cheers--
--Michael

Big Monk

« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2017, 07:32:50 am »
is OP asking about a specific strain, or Trappist beers?  Because it doesn't seem to have sunk in that there is more than a single flavor profile, at least from the repeated references to "it"

FWIW "Brew Like A Monk" might still be my favorite brewing book.  Stan is one of those people where no matter how much I think I know, when he starts talking I shut up and listen.

cheers--
--Michael

I thought the thread was about ritual sacrifice, cannibalism and circus acts but i think I misinterpreted.

All jokes aside, I'm not really sure anyone knows anything definitive about what the OP wants to know in any of his threads.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2017, 07:40:06 am by Big Monk »

Offline Sasha

• Brewer
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2017, 07:43:31 am »

cheers--
--Michael

Yes I know that there is more than one strain, I am just calling it "it" as a general category. But I mentioned the regular yeast and the 12% ABV yeast in the original post, so that is at least 2 strains, if there are more I would like to know about them.

And I will check out that book when I can.

Big Monk

« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2017, 07:49:55 am »

cheers--
--Michael

Yes I know that there is more than one strain, I am just calling it "it" as a general category. But I mentioned the regular yeast and the 12% ABV yeast in the original post, so that is at least 2 strains, if there are more I would like to know about them.

There are 4 commercially available single Trappist strains:

Wyeast 3787/WLP530 (Westmalle)
Wyeast 1214\WLP500 (Chimay)
Wyeast 1762/WLP540 (Rochefort)
WLP510 (Orval)

There are 6 Belgian Trappist Breweries. It's important to note that Achel and Westvleteren both use the Westmalle yeast, which means there are 4 distinct Trappist yeast strains.

Offline Stevie

« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2017, 08:05:13 am »
Didn't one of the yeast labs sell the Spencer strain as well?

Big Monk

« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2017, 08:07:31 am »
Didn't one of the yeast labs sell the Spencer strain as well?

I'm not sure. I still have not had any of the Spencer stuff. Very upset about that, I hear it's delicious.

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2017, 08:19:35 am »

cheers--
--Michael

Wait, we already have one "it" on this forum.  8)
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

The Beerery

« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2017, 08:23:48 am »

cheers--
--Michael

IT® - Lowoxygenbrewing.com  ;D ;D ;D

Offline Sasha

• Brewer
« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2017, 10:12:39 am »

cheers--
--Michael

There are 4 commercially available single Trappist strains:

Wyeast 3787/WLP530 (Westmalle)
Wyeast 1214\WLP500 (Chimay)
Wyeast 1762/WLP540 (Rochefort)
WLP510 (Orval)

There are 6 Belgian Trappist Breweries. It's important to note that Achel and Westvleteren both use the Westmalle yeast, which means there are 4 distinct Trappist yeast strains.

Thank you, this is the kind of information I was hoping I could get in here. I just think it is interesting that there is an Order of Monks that brew Alcohol, and if you say the word "Friar" everyone is like "Oh yeah, Monks do drink I guess", and then Communion and they are just like amazed that they never realized that Alcohol is the Christian Entheogen used to connect with God, it is literally supposed to be the Blood of the Savior.

But anyways, thank you. I wanted to get more information about Trappist Breweries and Yeast and everything, and if you think of anything else please share that also.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2017, 10:13:58 am »
If that is your goal, the songle best thing you can do is read "Brew Like A Monk" by Stan Hieronymus.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Sasha

• Brewer
« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2017, 10:19:29 am »
And just a question, is that 12% ABV Yeast meant for beer? I have been trying to figure it out. I assume it is, since the Trappists are known for Beer and not Wine or anything else, but 12% seems like it might be too high for a drink made from Grain Sugars. But maybe not. I am just wondering if it is meant for Beer.

Offline Sasha

• Brewer
« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2017, 10:20:45 am »

cheers--
--Michael

IT® - Lowoxygenbrewing.com  ;D ;D ;D

What does Low Oxygen Brewing do?

Offline Sasha

• Brewer
« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2017, 10:22:03 am »
If that is your goal, the songle best thing you can do is read "Brew Like A Monk" by Stan Hieronymus.

Ok, I'll check it out when I can. I might get it whenever I get the containers for brewing the Cider, Wine and Banana stuff. And I'll see if there are any PDFs on this topic online real quick.