Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Blonde Ale  (Read 1873 times)

Offline bbt95762

• 1st Kit
  • bbt95762
    • In Search of Better Homebrew
Blonde Ale
« on: June 30, 2017, 02:06:03 pm »
Brewing a blonde ale this weekend...but I have two yeasts from previous batches - WLP090 (San Diego Super) and WLP002 (English Ale).  Thinking I'll go with the English Ale - thoughts?

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Blonde Ale
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2017, 03:05:36 pm »
Split the batch and do half with each.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2017, 05:26:52 pm »
I frequently use the Thames River Valley strain in my blonde ales and they come out fantastic with a quick turnaround. So, +1 to the English Ale yeast.

Offline Robert

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2017, 02:58:27 am »
i like to use the English yeast in my blondes. i think it leaves a little more body for a beer that is kinda one dimensional. i usually use a repitch of S-04 

Offline santoch

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Riverview, FL
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2017, 09:27:56 pm »
I think it depends on how you are going to hop it.
If you are going more traditional with more noble-type hops, then I'd go with the English ale yeast.
If you are going with the current trend of citrusy blonde ales, then the San Diego yeast might be a better fit.

But, I also like Steve's suggestion of splitting the batch and trying both.  Split batch yeast experiments almost always demonstrate how much of the flavor of a beer is yeast derived.  In my experience, it always ends up a lot more distinct than I'd first imagine.

Looking for a club near my new house
BJCP GM3/Mead Judge

Offline Philbrew

• Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2017, 10:05:44 am »
So, this thread gave me an excuse to sample the blonde ale that I kegged a week ago.  I just carb at serving pressure and let it carb up slowly.  It was still a little young but delicious.  I fermented with Lallemand Knottingham yeast.  It was lightly hopped with American hops (CTZ and cascade).  Clean, crisp finish with a nice hint of character.  Excellent hot weather beer (I sampled yesterday afternoon when it was 96F here).

Back in February I think it was Dave Taylor that suggested Knotty for an Irish red ale that I was brewing.  Thank you Dave!  The beer turned out eminently quaffable (perhaps TOO quaffable as my wife would raise an eyebrow and suggest on a few mornings-after). 

I will pass along Dave's suggestion of Knotty to ferment these types of beers.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2017, 10:10:31 am by Philbrew »
Many of us would be on a strict liquid diet if it weren't for pretzels.