Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: "High End's" Message to Craft  (Read 13651 times)

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
"High End's" Message to Craft
« on: July 01, 2017, 08:47:18 am »
Can't wait to see the comments. This is already backfiring BIGLY on social media. ;)

http://draftmag.com/the-high-end-responds-to-independent-craft-seal/

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
Re: "High End's" Message to Craft
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2017, 09:18:18 am »
Last time I checked there was no market share grab against wine and spirits. Makes it sounds like a finite market.
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

narvin

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2017, 09:24:58 am »
Why don't they just put "Owned by Anheuser Busch-Inbev" on their labels and let the consumer decide? ::)

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2017, 09:57:53 am »
I can see why it's backfiring. The video was freaking laughable. IMO once you sell your brewery (free country, can't say I wouldn't for a giant pile of money), you lose the right to b**** that others want to differentiate themselves. Shelf and tap space are at stake for the small guys, so the ship has probably sailed on the "we need to all come together against wine and spirits" BS.  ;D
Jon H.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2017, 10:28:56 am »
They left Mead and cider out of it? Haven't watched it.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2017, 10:45:32 am »
They left Mead and cider out of it? Haven't watched it.

Well you should

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2017, 10:50:13 am »
I can see why it's backfiring. The video was freaking laughable. IMO once you sell your brewery (free country, can't say I wouldn't for a giant pile of money), you lose the right to b**** that others want to differentiate themselves. Shelf and tap space are at stake for the small guys, so the ship has probably sailed on the "we need to all come together against wine and spirits" BS.  ;D

I'm sure all the European breweries who were disguising themselves as "Trappist" wined and b****ed like little sissy boys (and girls) when a label designation was made to delineate one from the other as well.

This may be the best and most worthwhile thing (the logo designation) the BA has ever done. Very proud to be a member. Definitely going to put that logo on my labels.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2017, 11:31:27 am »

I'm sure all the European breweries who were disguising themselves as "Trappist" wined and b****ed like little sissy boys (and girls) when a label designation was made to delineate one from the other as well.

This may be the best and most worthwhile thing (the logo designation) the BA has ever done. Very proud to be a member. Definitely going to put that logo on my labels.

Totally agree, Keith. And good for you.
Jon H.

Offline 28th Street

• 1st Kit
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2017, 02:25:51 pm »
They are all repeating what they told themselves when they sold out!

If i am on the fence between 2 beers and one has the bottle and the other doesn't, i am going with the beer that shows the bottle.

Big Monk

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2017, 02:29:55 pm »

If i am on the fence between 2 beers and one has the bottle and the other doesn't, i am going with the beer that shows the bottle.

And if the one with the bottle tastes like crap? What then?

There is a lot of bad craft beer out there. That doesn't mean I want to see good ones go down the tubes but a label isn't going to solve this issue.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2017, 02:38:05 pm »

There is a lot of bad craft beer out there. That doesn't mean I want to see good ones go down the tubes but a label isn't going to solve this issue.

The label isn't meant to solve that problem.  It has nothing to do with indicating the quality of the beer.  It's just a piece of information.  What you do with that information is up to you.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Big Monk

« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2017, 02:45:09 pm »

The label isn't meant to solve that problem.  It has nothing to do with indicating the quality of the beer.  It's just a piece of information.  What you do with that information is up to you.

What's the point then? To identify independently made beer that is good and bad?

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2017, 02:53:50 pm »
Derek, I personally don't think all the macro rice lagers are especially magical either. Just me. It's not a symbol of quality, it's info for the buyer to use or ignore. I see it as analagous to the Fair Trade coffee designation. Fair Trade coffee isn't necessarily better, it's just sold by companies that don't engage in unfair, predatory practices.
Jon H.

Big Monk

« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2017, 03:02:24 pm »
Derek, I personally don't think all the macro rice lagers are especially magical either. Just me. It's not a symbol of quality, it's info for the buyer to use or ignore. I see it as analagous to the Fair Trade coffee designation. Fair Trade coffee isn't necessarily better, it's just sold by companies that don't engage in unfair, predatory practices.

I hear you Jon. I'm not sticking up for macro beer here. I'm just saying that they should call it what it is. If you need to engage in psychological warfare to combat the dirty tactics of the big boys then so be it. Call it that though.

All this symbol says is that an independent brewer had the money to buy the rights to the symbol, and that's fine, but it's also a detriment to the truly unique and high quality craft beers out there.

I'm not on a side here. I drink all kinds of beer and homebrew. I'm just playing devils advocate for each point.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2017, 03:06:58 pm by Big Monk »

Offline riceral

• Brewer
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2017, 03:03:51 pm »

Exactly, Jon. I was going to say it's like seeing on the restaurant sign "made with locally grown ingredients."

And I like the idea about putting a label on beers that are owned by AB-InBev.
Ralph R.