Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Accurately measuring gravity  (Read 3195 times)

Offline chinaski

• Brewmaster
Re: Accurately measuring gravity
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2017, 03:54:04 pm »
I think when skepticism leads to a reality check like this its great.  That said, I've always used the same old cheap hydrometer for the past 15 years or so and the data it gives me is fine for my purposes.  If I were to have a second device for measuring, then I get that nagging feeling to know which is more accurate.  Better off not worry about it for my style of brewing.  I also brew exclusively with homegrown hops with no measurement of %alpha acids- I rely on available data and my taste buds to estimate it.  It works for me.

Offline Visor

• Brewmaster
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2017, 06:14:48 pm »
  After thinking about my test I'm thinking I did the higher gravity tests wrong. As I understand it, the established values for S.G. contributions of stuff like sugar and DME are based on X amount of the product and water to make a given volume, in America pounds per gallon. Correct? If so, if I really wanted to be as accurate as possible, rather than adding another ounce of sugar to my previous solution after each step, I should have weighed out the correct amount of sugar for the next level and added water to make the volume, right? What I did probably only made a tiny difference in the test solution, but even one or two gravity points can be significant if your intent is to measure the accuracy of your measuring devices.
   It's kind of crazy when viewed from one perspective, I can pick up a tape measure anywhere for a couple bucks that is just as accurate as anything on the market, at any price, but $100 plus for a refractometer or close to that for a hydrometer gets me something which is no more accurate than the $4 one I bought in 1984. Coulda saved myself a couple hundred bucks on junk equipment if I'd known what I had was as good as it gets. There has to be a space in that scenario for an enterprising inventor to make a fortune. Whadda shame that I'm not a creative genius.
I spent most of my money on beer, tools and guns, the rest I foolishly squandered on stupid stuff!

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2017, 06:32:56 pm »
I've noticed a difference in my el cheapo refractometer and my el cheapo hydrometer. Oh well. Sometimes I don't even ck FG.

@ chinaski: I don't see how you've had the same hydrometer for 15 years. Mine grow legs a leap to their depths on occasion. I have a primary and backup on hand.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk