Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: WLP 051 Sulfur Ordor  (Read 1798 times)

Offline Ellismr

• Assistant Brewer
WLP 051 Sulfur Ordor
« on: June 27, 2017, 11:04:51 am »
I've never used this yeast before but this is what I experienced.  I pitched and fermented at 68F using a Brewjacket to control the temperature.  Held this for 10 days and racked over to secondary to dry hop gravity was slightly higher than expected (1.017 estimated 1.015).  I dry hopped on 3 oz cascade and today when I went to cold crash I detected a strong sulfur note.  What can O do to make this go away?

Thank you
Brew what you like & brew often.

Offline Todd H.

• Cellarman
Re: WLP 051 Sulfur Ordor
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2017, 12:31:57 pm »
I used that strain once.  Man, did it ever stink during fermentation.  I probably let it sit for 3 weeks before bottling (don't have my notes here), but I don't remember it being sulfurous in the final product.  Maybe you just have to let it sit longer to off-gas some stink?
That wasn't much help, sorry.

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2017, 02:44:52 pm »
I haven't used that yeast but it sounds typical of many strains.  The thing with sulfur is that no matter how bad you think it might be, when it does happen, it is always temporary and will disappear with age.  About another 3 weeks of age and there should be no trace of it.  Sometimes it happens faster, sometimes slower, but about 3 weeks is pretty standard for it to be gone.  Patience.  The only downside with a dry hopped beer is that the hops will also fade with age, but fortunately, not as quickly as the sulfur does.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline Ellismr

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2017, 08:35:07 pm »
Thanks for the advice. Much appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Brew what you like & brew often.

Offline JJeffers09

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2017, 08:41:57 am »
I have about 11 batches with that strain.  It benefits from a 72F rest for a day or so, then crash.  I really enjoy the way cali v finishes.  Its my new go to American strain.
"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

AHA Member
Indiana Brewers Union (IBU)