Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Wy1318 stall  (Read 2319 times)

Offline Hand of Dom

• Brewer
Wy1318 stall
« on: July 02, 2017, 04:30:36 am »
I brewed a pale ale last Saturday, with a starting gravity of 1.056. I pitched a shaken not stirred starter, started fermentation at 18c for 3 days, then lifted to 22c over 2 days. I took a gravity reading today, and it was 1.024. I've lifted the temp to 23c and given the bucket a swirl.

This is the fourth generation of this yeast, harvested each time from an overbuilt starter.
I did 30mins at 62c, 30mins at 71c, and a 75c mashout.

Does anyone have additional suggestions on what I could do to get this nearer the 1.012 fg I'd been shooting for.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Dom

Currently drinking - Amarillo saison
Currently fermenting - Pale ale 1 - 2017

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
Re: Wy1318 stall
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2017, 05:29:59 am »
I can mail you a small jar of 3 week old Conan slurry tomorrow, if you like.
Frank P.

Staggering on the shoulders of giant dwarfs.

Offline Hand of Dom

• Brewer
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2017, 06:16:41 am »
That's extremely generous of you to offer, homoeccentricus, but i think it would cost you too much to send over from Belgium. If I have to pitch more yeast, I can grab a pack of a neutral dry yeast from my lhbs. I was planning on buying some Vermont/Conan for my next brew, as cloudwater use it in some of their beers (their citra/mosaic pale recently became my new favourite beer)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Dom

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2017, 11:36:17 am »
Pitch some Nottingham or other aggressive attenuative yeast.

Sent from my XT1095 using Tapatalk

Offline Hand of Dom

• Brewer
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2017, 02:25:41 am »
Pitch some Nottingham or other aggressive attenuative yeast.

Sent from my XT1095 using Tapatalk

My LHBS only stocks Mangrove Jacks, so I'll probably use their West Coast ale yeast, that seems to be high attenuating and neutral tasting.
Dom

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2017, 04:01:47 am »
That's extremely generous of you to offer, homoeccentricus, but i think it would cost you too much to send over from Belgium. If I have to pitch more yeast, I can grab a pack of a neutral dry yeast from my lhbs. I was planning on buying some Vermont/Conan for my next brew, as cloudwater use it in some of their beers (their citra/mosaic pale recently became my new favourite beer)

Hahaha, I confused your forum name with Theoman's an American who lives in Belgium...
Frank P.

Staggering on the shoulders of giant dwarfs.

Offline Hand of Dom

• Brewer
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2017, 05:55:16 am »

Hahaha, I confused your forum name with Theoman's an American who lives in Belgium...

No problem, I'm not too far away in the UK, but still a pain to send IMO.  I took another gravity reading this morning, and it's down to 1.020, so it might just be working slowly, last beer I made with this yeast, it ran through it incredibly quickly (it was done after 5 days), and went down to 1.008 (albeit from a lower starting point).
Dom