Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Recommendations for a good mash thermometer  (Read 2598 times)

Offline Steve L

• Brewmaster
  • Rocky Mount, VA
Recommendations for a good mash thermometer
« on: July 03, 2017, 08:37:08 am »
Hi all,
Can anyone recommend a good mash thermometer? What I need is something digital that has a probe with at least a 12-18 inch cable connected to a digital display.  Mine just crapped out. Thanks for any suggestions.
Corripe Cervisiam

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
Re: Recommendations for a good mash thermometer
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2017, 08:47:31 am »
I bought a Thermopen about 3-4 years ago and it works great. It was expensive, but I think they make a cheaper version as well. I was able to calibrate all of my other thermometers with it and I use it for cooking also.
Dan Chisholm

Offline Steve L

• Brewmaster
  • Rocky Mount, VA
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2017, 08:56:08 am »
I'd totally buy a thermopen, but what I really need is something with a probe that I can drop in my mash tun that has an external console for the temp readout. Kind of like the Taylor grilling thermometers but one that can withstand the mash temps for an hour and is waterproof.
Corripe Cervisiam

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2017, 09:29:21 am »
Thermoworks makes probe thermometers as well. Not cheap, but their products are worth it.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2017, 10:37:43 am »
One complaint I often hear about the probe thermometers is that if you get the probe/cable junction wet it can ruin the thermometer.  No personal experience, just relating what I've heard.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Stevie

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2017, 10:47:37 am »
One complaint I often hear about the probe thermometers is that if you get the probe/cable junction wet it can ruin the thermometer.  No personal experience, just relating what I've heard.
Good point. This could be the cause of the failure of the OPs existing unit. Waterproof probes do exist.

Offline Steve L

• Brewmaster
  • Rocky Mount, VA
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2017, 10:56:46 am »
Good point. This could be the cause of the failure of the OPs existing unit. Waterproof probes do exist.
You both hit the nail on the head my friends. just suffered probe failure... such a sad thought on many levels!
Anyway, I have checked out the thermomoeters with the upgraded waterproof/heat safe probes, and you're correct. rather pricey. Makes me wonder... if I'm gonna put 50-75 bucks in a thermometer, what about $100 in a blichmann brewvision... hmmmm
I haven't heard if they are dependable as of yet. Few reviews out that I can find.
Corripe Cervisiam

Offline Stevie

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2017, 10:59:27 am »
Brewvision is just a Bluetooth thermometer with alarms. It doesn't even have an LCD making it completely reliant on a mobile device. IMO

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2017, 11:01:17 am »
I use this $19 thermometer also from Thermoworks.

http://www.thermoworks.com/RT600C

Slightly less accurate +/-0.9F versus +/-0.7F.  Also slightly slower 5-6 second readings instead of 2-3 seconds. $60 cheaper.

Offline Stevie

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2017, 11:03:52 am »
I use the above as well. One in the kitchen and one in the brew gear. Very happy.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2017, 11:25:27 am »
You both hit the nail on the head my friends. just suffered probe failure... such a sad thought on many levels!
Anyway, I have checked out the thermomoeters with the upgraded waterproof/heat safe probes, and you're correct. rather pricey. Makes me wonder... if I'm gonna put 50-75 bucks in a thermometer, what about $100 in a blichmann brewvision... hmmmm
I haven't heard if they are dependable as of yet. Few reviews out that I can find.

People have reported success by putting heat shrink tubing on the probe/cab;e junction.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Steve L

• Brewmaster
  • Rocky Mount, VA
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2017, 11:35:14 am »

People have reported success by putting heat shrink tubing on the probe/cab;e junction.
hmmmm, never thought of that... among my other money sucking hobbies, I also fly RC heli's. Guess who's got a bunch of heat shrink tubing... This Guy !
Corripe Cervisiam

Offline Stevie

« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2017, 11:46:22 am »
A little hot glue or epoxy followed by the heat shrink would be even better.

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2017, 11:47:50 am »
The RT600C is my handheld thermometer for checking temps around my brewery. I also use the RT301WA units in my RIMS to give me a real-time monitor on my inlet and outlet wort temperatures. These units have been going strong for almost a decade now. Thermoworks makes good stuff, but no need to blow a bunch of $$ on a Thermopen.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2017, 12:23:13 pm »
hmmmm, never thought of that... among my other money sucking hobbies, I also fly RC heli's. Guess who's got a bunch of heat shrink tubing... This Guy !

I was gonna say that it's a good idea unless you don't have tubing or a heat gun around!  Being an electronics tech, I have both but a lot of people don't.

www.dennybrew.com