Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Mecca Grade Estate Malt  (Read 3744 times)

Offline Joel5000

• Cellarman
Mecca Grade Estate Malt
« on: July 03, 2017, 12:49:30 pm »
Anyone used this malt yet?
http://www.wweek.com/uncategorized/2017/02/28/malt-is-the-new-hops/
I was in FH Steinbart this week picking up ingredients for a kolsch, and saw that they are carrying the full line.  Pricy, but sounds pretty good.  I might do a SMASH with their pale malt to try it out.  Thought I'd see if anyone had experience with it.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Mecca Grade Estate Malt
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2017, 01:05:02 pm »
Yep, I've used everything they make except the wheat malt.  Got some of that but haven't tried it yet.  It's exceptional malt.  Great extraction, full flavored.  I made my rye IPA recipe, which I've made maybe a hundred times, using their malt and it's never been so good.  Just made a German pils with their Pelton (pils) malt.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Joel5000

• Cellarman
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2017, 01:09:36 pm »
Awesome!  I'll be trying it in my next batch for sure.

Offline ethinson

• Brewmaster
  • Why is the beer always gone?
    • River Pirate Brewing Co.
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2017, 01:50:15 pm »
I don't use it because I don't do all grain, but several people in my homebrew club (Oregon Brew Crew) really love it and swear by it. 

I also had the honor of meeting Seth Klann at the judging for Best of Craft Beers and he's a really awesome guy.  Small scale, doing things "the hard way".  More concerned with quality and flavor than bulk sales.
SE Portland - AKA Beervana
Captain and Chief Deck Swabber - River Pirate Brewing Co.
Certified BJCP Beer Judge
2015 Oregon Brew Crew Member of the Year

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2017, 02:02:22 pm »
I don't use it because I don't do all grain, but several people in my homebrew club (Oregon Brew Crew) really love it and swear by it. 

I also had the honor of meeting Seth Klann at the judging for Best of Craft Beers and he's a really awesome guy.  Small scale, doing things "the hard way".  More concerned with quality and flavor than bulk sales.

Seth is a really great guy.  I'm heading over there to interview him and tour the operation in August, then we'll do a podcast about it.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Mecca Grade Estate Malt
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2019, 06:28:39 pm »
I just ordered ingredients for an Exportbier: 73% Pelton (Pils), 17% Rimrock (Vienna), 8% Metolius (Munich), 2% Melanoiden (Weyermann), 30 IBU(s) Hallertau, Imperial Harvest Yeast.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: January 31, 2019, 07:32:47 am by BrewBama »

Offline MNWayne

• Brewer
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2019, 08:48:40 am »
Pelton, Rimrock, Metoluis... looks like maltsters are entering the world of modern marketing.
Far better to dare mighty things....

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2019, 09:16:10 am »
Pelton, Rimrock, Metoluis... looks like maltsters are entering the world of modern marketing.

Those are names of towns neat where Mecca Grade is.  I think it's pretty cool, personally.  If you ever visit there, the taproom is dull of historical photos of the area taken by Seth's grandmother. Those malt names are all the more relevant in that regard.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline Wilbur

• Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2019, 03:36:15 pm »

That's a pet peeve of mine for small scale maltsters. If your malt is far enough from commonly accepted norms in brewing, fine. But it's unnecessarily vague most of the time, and distracts from purpose-informing about the flavor. The rest of their marketing and outreach has been pretty killer though. They seem to be catching the market the way no other company is.

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2019, 03:53:39 pm »
I am glad they include the translation because it is confusing. I am excited to finally get to try it though.

Offline Robert

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2019, 03:58:22 pm »
There's a new small scale (only in malting could >1300 metric tons/year be small, right?) near me that has happily decided to call their malts Pilsner, Pale, Vienna and Munich.   The quality is outstanding,  so the malt itself I suppose is all the advertising needed.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

Rob Stein
Akron, Ohio

I'd rather have questions I can't answer than answers I can't question.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2019, 04:04:16 pm »
There's a new small scale (only in malting could >1300 metric tons/year be small, right?) near me that has happily decided to call their malts Pilsner, Pale, Vienna and Munich.   The quality is outstanding,  so the malt itself I suppose is all the advertising needed.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

In MG's case, not all of their malts exactly match traditional malt names/types.  Metolius, for instance, is very Munich like, but I don't know if I could call it Munich exactly.  Their Opal malt is unlike anything else I've ever seen.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2019, 04:39:24 pm »
I have a planned Beantown Lager that I’ll try their Lamonta (Pale) and Opal 44 along with a little more Metolius. I have high anticipation for these next few beers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline MNWayne

• Brewer
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2019, 05:20:24 pm »
What is Opal similar to?
Far better to dare mighty things....

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2019, 07:06:38 pm »
What is Opal similar to?

The description says “Caramelized, Toffee Malt” so I’m using it like a Caramel / Crystal / Cara Malt at 8% in my recipe.