Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Enartis  (Read 15007 times)

Offline Sasha

• Brewer
Enartis
« on: July 04, 2017, 06:09:43 pm »
Has anyone ever ordered Yeast from Enartis before? Here is the link:
http://shop-usa.enartis.com/

I was looking for Yeasts that produce a bunch of Esters and that could be ordered in 500g quantities, and this website seems like the best option. I haven't been able to find anyone else posting a Review of them online, so I thought I would create a thread to gather any Reviews that anyone has, as well as to share my own whenever the Yeast comes in and I use it.

Here are the 2 Strains I got:

This one is for Cider and Sparkling Cider, because it give a strong Apple/Pear/Flower smell, so with the leftover residuals from the molecules that make up Apple Juice, it should make a good Cider Wine/Champagne
http://shop-usa.enartis.com/enartis-ferm-es-123-2

This one is for Banana Beer/Banana Cider/Banana Wine/Banana Champagne, and any other Wine
http://shop-usa.enartis.com/enartis-ferm-ws-2

I am also going to get a 3rd strain from another company for Cider, but I have not ordered that one yet. Once these come in the mail (maybe a week) I will take pictures and everything, and when I start brewing I will post pictures or links to the thread, if there is another thread, here.

If anyone else has used this Company post about it here, or if anyone has tried anything made from these Yeasts.

Offline Sasha

• Brewer
Re: Enartis
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2017, 06:23:57 pm »
Here is the profile of the WS Yeast:
http://www.enartis.com/upload/images/01_2016/160111154628.pdf

And here is where it comes from:
http://www.princeofpinot.com/winery/154/

Offline Sasha

• Brewer
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2017, 06:26:44 pm »
This is from that profile, so I it should be good for Ciders of various fruits like Banana.

“WS is reliable in all fermentations, even on the most difficult ones. It is a concentration of quality and efficiency in every aspect” - Matteo Corazzolla, at Cider Producer L.M. di Maria Lucia Melchiori & C., Italy

Big Monk

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2017, 06:26:56 pm »
500g is a big commitment to a yeast you've never used before.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Offline Sasha

• Brewer
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2017, 06:27:44 pm »
500g is a big commitment to a yeast you've never used before.

I'm doing 55 Gallons. And I need Esters and a high ABV.

Big Monk

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2017, 06:36:20 pm »
Have you ever made wine?

Offline Sasha

• Brewer
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2017, 06:40:57 pm »
Have you ever made wine?

Yes, but I have always used Distiller's Yeast in the past. I didn't know there were so many different strains of Yeast before. I have made it with just Sugar and water or with Raisins, Pineapples or Pears. Now I am going to do Apples and Bananas, and probably Mead either at the same time or next.

Offline Sasha

• Brewer
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2017, 06:54:13 pm »
I also want to try to get some strains like this that are a different species that have good Ester production
http://www.enartis.com/eu/assistente-enologo/enartis-ferm-q-tau_3812.htm

Offline Sasha

• Brewer
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2017, 09:03:26 pm »
I am going to quote a few things I posted in the other thread since this thread is about Yeast. I just think having breeding discussion here would be beneficial.

the guy who discovered DNA, Craig Venter, he has now created a way to make Synthetic DNA, and it is actually really easy he says. He even created a machine that allows you to put DNA into a machine, and the machine will turn the DNA into 1's and 0's, then you can send the DNA code through the Cloud and it can be printed on the other side in another one of these machines. The Machines are called "Digital Biological Converter"s and he calls the process "Biological Teleportation". And I was watching a lecture he did and he said that all it takes to create a new Chromosome. An Artificial piece of DNA, is to add Amino Acids to Yeast. Yeast naturally has very loose affiliation to its DNA, and exchanges DNA through Horizontal Transfer, which means they basically just touch each other and exchange DNA. And DNA is just amino acids in long chains.

So Yeast could actually be the key to the creation of life and a lot of other things.

And there are Yeasts that have been genetically modified to create Cannabinoids as byproducts instead of Alcohol. It's crazy.

I want to try to make a Yeast that is Banana, Pear, Apple and Plum flavored. I know genes don't just mix and do everything, but I'm going to try to get a propagator eventually and see what happens when I mix a few strains.

Also, I am very interested in the concept of Recombination.

You have probably heard of Epigentics, which is the study of the change of DNA throughout 1 lifetime, and how that effects what is passed down that otherwise might not have been or in place of something that otherwise would have been. And it is based on Environmental factors.

But I think that people are missing Recombination. Because supposedly species are just 2 of the same thing that were separated by water or land or whatever. That's how Cultivars and everything are made too. Like Darwin's birds with the different beaks, but both Finches. Recombination is mixing those 2 back together, or 2 species that are even further apart. Getting 2 species as far apart as you can, sometimes even into a different Genus (as in cases like Mules made from Donkeys and Horses, and Zebra-Horses), then recombining their DNA.

And there are a few methods used in Genetic Engineering, like the companies that make GMOs, that actually aren't too complicated and they can mutate the DNA. I just think it would be interesting to try some things and then find a lab to send the byproducts to every time and see what the Yeast makes. And of course test the gravity to see if it is some mutant 40% ABV Yeast, because people would love that.

And people probably already know this buy Austin Texas has a pretty big brewing and distilling community. There are a bunch of new Vodkas an Ciders coming out of Austin right now, and it is happening in a similar way to how Austin is the Liberal bastion in Texas. It's kind of like a Mecca in Texas for Brewing. So the 3rd Yeast I am getting is going to be from an Austin Cider making company, and they claim that it makes tons of Esters. So I'll start breeding these Yeasts together on a small scale, then eventually I will get a propagator and start create big batches of new strains, and use the smaller batches to test amino acids and different methods to mutate the DNA.

Here are some papers on Breeding Yeast:
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/j.2050-0416.1904.tb04656.x/pdf
http://linneo.iata.csic.es/jpolaina/files/PolainaJ02.pdf
http://www.pivarstvo.info/forum/files/yeast_propagation_and_maintenance_607.pdf

Offline Sasha

• Brewer
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2017, 09:16:11 pm »
Also, I will probably get a Wine License in the next few months:
https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=29783.0

Offline Sasha

• Brewer
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2017, 07:16:20 am »
Ok, so I let a bunch of people know that I bought Enartis Yeast, but it seems like no one has ever used it before. I think it is not something that has really become known in America yet. I know it's a European Company, and they are Enologists and everything. But I am not sure that they are well known in America yet. There must be some Wine community in America who knows about these Yeasts and products and everything, but they seem to be a company that isn't Americanized yet.

For example, they don't really have a Twitter account, but it does seem like a few of their employees have Twitter Accounts, there is just no one account that looks like the Official Account, like @Enartis or @EnartisFerm or @EnartisUSA or something. There is Enartis South Africa, but it is still a small Twitter account. And I noticed that they do have a lot of satellite companies, like Enartis Portugal and stuff like that, so they are not just some small company, they do seem to be a large company, but they seem to be a large company in that they have a lot of locations around the World, and a lot of people working on their main goal, which is to provide quality Enology and Enology products. But they seem not to have a bunch of Web Designers on hand, or a bunch of Graphic Designers, or Brand Ambassadors, etc, like American Companies do.

And I read a thing that said that they are actually a company that started from another Company that existed 80 Years before they launched their current company.

So I am really interested to check out this Yeast and maybe be the first person to Review it on a forum, and take pictures of what it does and be able to explain what it tastes like and smells like for everybody and everything.

Offline Sasha

• Brewer
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2017, 08:14:14 am »
Here is a description of Enartis:
http://ibwsshow.com/blog/enartis-right-solution-wine-importers-makers/
The company goes beyond the traditional concept of winemaking product sales through the integration of its yeasts, nutrients, enzymes, tannins, polysaccharides, gums and other materials into specific application strategies and protocols, together with knowledgeable technical support.
Enartis USA is a leading supplier of wine making products, with the capability to meet the needs of wineries of all sizes. Its’ primary pledge is geared toward the quality of Enological co-adjuncts. Quality is indispensable in order to guarantee food safety and to provide wine producers with peace-of-mind. The Food Safety System Certification FSSC 22000 granted to Enartis guarantees the safety, purity and quality consistency of their products which conform to technical specifications and originally established applications.

So I think they are probably known by a number of Wineries in California, but I am not sure if they are well known outside of that in the US.

I found a few pages where they have schedules, and apparently they do seminars. Like presentations about Wine and Fermenting.
http://www.enartis.com/au/news/harvest-webinar-series-low-so2-wine-production_5381.htm

But I think that they need to make a YouTube Channel, or PodCast, or something where people can see the presentation after it is given, or on Google Hangouts, where they can just do it live and then it goes up on YouTube afterwards. Or Facebook Live. I think this company could be really big in America. Hardly anyone knows that there are so many different kinds of Yeast, and many people just buy Beer or Wine from the store, but if they heard about this, and could watch videos they made about how to make Wine and Esters and Yeasts and everything, then they would probably get a huge following of New Winemakers. And maybe even inspire people to start Wineries with their Yeasts and products.

I'm ready to see what this Yeast can do, because this company really does seem promising. I can't believe there are no readily searchable reviews of Wines made with these Yeasts or of people talking about this company.

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2017, 08:16:43 am »
Try another forum. This forum is beer focused with a smidgen of mead thrown in.

Offline Sasha

• Brewer
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2017, 08:23:23 am »
Try another forum. This forum is beer focused with a smidgen of mead thrown in.

I'm using it for Cider and Mead.