Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Enartis  (Read 14999 times)

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Enartis
« Reply #30 on: July 05, 2017, 10:35:00 am »
Yeast don't really breed easily. They are primarily asexual and reproduce via budding. Mutations produce the favorable results that create what we think of as different strains through selective propagation.

Offline Sasha

• Brewer
« Reply #31 on: July 05, 2017, 10:35:48 am »
Then I will use the ES 123 to make Cider Champagne, and maybe WS to make it even bubblier.

But the ES 123 and WS will be used for everything that is not Apple or Pear.

Offline Stevie

« Reply #32 on: July 05, 2017, 10:36:27 am »
Bubbles are not strain dependent.

Offline Sasha

• Brewer
« Reply #33 on: July 05, 2017, 10:36:47 am »
I have information on breeding Yeast

the guy who discovered DNA, Craig Venter, he has now created a way to make Synthetic DNA, and it is actually really easy he says. He even created a machine that allows you to put DNA into a machine, and the machine will turn the DNA into 1's and 0's, then you can send the DNA code through the Cloud and it can be printed on the other side in another one of these machines. The Machines are called "Digital Biological Converter"s and he calls the process "Biological Teleportation". And I was watching a lecture he did and he said that all it takes to create a new Chromosome. An Artificial piece of DNA, is to add Amino Acids to Yeast. Yeast naturally has very loose affiliation to its DNA, and exchanges DNA through Horizontal Transfer, which means they basically just touch each other and exchange DNA. And DNA is just amino acids in long chains.

So Yeast could actually be the key to the creation of life and a lot of other things.

And there are Yeasts that have been genetically modified to create Cannabinoids as byproducts instead of Alcohol. It's crazy.

I want to try to make a Yeast that is Banana, Pear, Apple and Plum flavored. I know genes don't just mix and do everything, but I'm going to try to get a propagator eventually and see what happens when I mix a few strains.

Also, I am very interested in the concept of Recombination.

You have probably heard of Epigentics, which is the study of the change of DNA throughout 1 lifetime, and how that effects what is passed down that otherwise might not have been or in place of something that otherwise would have been. And it is based on Environmental factors.

But I think that people are missing Recombination. Because supposedly species are just 2 of the same thing that were separated by water or land or whatever. That's how Cultivars and everything are made too. Like Darwin's birds with the different beaks, but both Finches. Recombination is mixing those 2 back together, or 2 species that are even further apart. Getting 2 species as far apart as you can, sometimes even into a different Genus (as in cases like Mules made from Donkeys and Horses, and Zebra-Horses), then recombining their DNA.

And there are a few methods used in Genetic Engineering, like the companies that make GMOs, that actually aren't too complicated and they can mutate the DNA. I just think it would be interesting to try some things and then find a lab to send the byproducts to every time and see what the Yeast makes. And of course test the gravity to see if it is some mutant 40% ABV Yeast, because people would love that.

And people probably already know this buy Austin Texas has a pretty big brewing and distilling community. There are a bunch of new Vodkas an Ciders coming out of Austin right now, and it is happening in a similar way to how Austin is the Liberal bastion in Texas. It's kind of like a Mecca in Texas for Brewing. So the 3rd Yeast I am getting is going to be from an Austin Cider making company, and they claim that it makes tons of Esters. So I'll start breeding these Yeasts together on a small scale, then eventually I will get a propagator and start create big batches of new strains, and use the smaller batches to test amino acids and different methods to mutate the DNA.

Here are some papers on Breeding Yeast:
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/j.2050-0416.1904.tb04656.x/pdf
http://linneo.iata.csic.es/jpolaina/files/PolainaJ02.pdf
http://www.pivarstvo.info/forum/files/yeast_propagation_and_maintenance_607.pdf

Offline Sasha

• Brewer
« Reply #34 on: July 05, 2017, 10:38:22 am »

Bubbles are alcohol dependent. If I make a batch with M02, then do a second ferment in the bottle or in the Keg with ES 123 or ES 123 and WS together, then that is how the bubbles are formed. It is like making Wine then using Champagne yeast. The bubbles are not dependent on the strain but you need a strain that can take a higher alcohol content to get bubbles.

Offline Sasha

• Brewer
« Reply #35 on: July 05, 2017, 10:40:49 am »
Eventually I will just use Kegs and pump CO2 into them, but right now I am using Yeast to make bubbles.

Offline riceral

• Brewer
« Reply #36 on: July 05, 2017, 10:43:31 am »

the guy who discovered DNA, Craig Venter, he has now created a way to make Synthetic DNA, and it is actually really easy he says. He even created a machine that allows you to put DNA into a machine, and the machine will turn the DNA into 1's and 0's, then you can send the DNA code through the Cloud and it can be printed on the other side in another one of these machines. The Machines are called "Digital Biological Converter"s and he calls the process "Biological Teleportation". And I was watching a lecture he did and he said that all it takes to create a new Chromosome. An Artificial piece of DNA, is to add Amino Acids to Yeast. Yeast naturally has very loose affiliation to its DNA, and exchanges DNA through Horizontal Transfer, which means they basically just touch each other and exchange DNA. And DNA is just amino acids in long chains.

So Yeast could actually be the key to the creation of life and a lot of other things.

And there are Yeasts that have been genetically modified to create Cannabinoids as byproducts instead of Alcohol. It's crazy.

I want to try to make a Yeast that is Banana, Pear, Apple and Plum flavored. I know genes don't just mix and do everything, but I'm going to try to get a propagator eventually and see what happens when I mix a few strains.

You have probably heard of Epigentics, which is the study of the change of DNA throughout 1 lifetime, and how that effects what is passed down that otherwise might not have been or in place of something that otherwise would have been. And it is based on Environmental factors.

But I think that people are missing Recombination. Because supposedly species are just 2 of the same thing that were separated by water or land or whatever. That's how Cultivars and everything are made too. Like Darwin's birds with the different beaks, but both Finches. Recombination is mixing those 2 back together, or 2 species that are even further apart. Getting 2 species as far apart as you can, sometimes even into a different Genus (as in cases like Mules made from Donkeys and Horses, and Zebra-Horses), then recombining their DNA.

And there are a few methods used in Genetic Engineering, like the companies that make GMOs, that actually aren't too complicated and they can mutate the DNA. I just think it would be interesting to try some things and then find a lab to send the byproducts to every time and see what the Yeast makes. And of course test the gravity to see if it is some mutant 40% ABV Yeast, because people would love that.

And people probably already know this buy Austin Texas has a pretty big brewing and distilling community. There are a bunch of new Vodkas an Ciders coming out of Austin right now, and it is happening in a similar way to how Austin is the Liberal bastion in Texas. It's kind of like a Mecca in Texas for Brewing. So the 3rd Yeast I am getting is going to be from an Austin Cider making company, and they claim that it makes tons of Esters. So I'll start breeding these Yeasts together on a small scale, then eventually I will get a propagator and start create big batches of new strains, and use the smaller batches to test amino acids and different methods to mutate the DNA.

Craig Venter did not discover DNA. Please try reading some basic (like, junior high school) biology books.

Seriously---

Like a train wreck, I can't look away.
Ralph R.

Offline Sasha

• Brewer
« Reply #37 on: July 05, 2017, 10:46:12 am »

Craig Venter did not discover DNA. Please try reading some basic (like, junior high school) biology books.

Seriously---

Lol. He mapped the human genome. And that's really not the point of the post. Way to take a tangent and troll it out.

Offline Stevie

« Reply #38 on: July 05, 2017, 10:49:18 am »

Seriously---

Maybe along with DNA "teleportation" has had also invented time travel.

Offline Sasha

• Brewer
« Reply #39 on: July 05, 2017, 10:51:06 am »
If you read that first link about breeding Yeast it mentions UV light. All you have to do is get a UV light (which are readily available for lizards, and killing bacteria, etc). And it mentions right off the bat that UV light has been a means of mutating Yeast for a while and it works really well.

So not only can I breed Yeast, I can mutate it. And now you can too.

Offline Sasha

• Brewer
« Reply #40 on: July 05, 2017, 10:57:38 am »
Just as an example of how mutating Yeast would work.

There is UVA and UVB light, so a good method of mutation would be to make 3 identical batches of propagating Yeast in 1 Gallon or 6 Gallon Glass Carboys, and have one with UVA light, one with UVB light and one with both. Then do different combinations of mixing them, and switching them to new light, etc. And make new batches and try different combinations. Then add amino acids, and DNA from plants.

Then mix the mutated Yeast with other Yeast strains, and go through the process again.

Big Monk

Enartis
« Reply #41 on: July 05, 2017, 11:02:09 am »

Bubbles are alcohol dependent. If I make a batch with M02, then do a second ferment in the bottle or in the Keg with ES 123 or ES 123 and WS together, then that is how the bubbles are formed. It is like making Wine then using Champagne yeast. The bubbles are not dependent on the strain but you need a strain that can take a higher alcohol content to get bubbles.

Let's be honest, there is almost no skill or craft required to make beer, wine, cider, champagne or mead.

Don't listen to anyone here. Ferment with any yeast you'd like but make sure to get the temperature into the 90s quick for maximum esters and alcohol heat. You and your friends will love it.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2017, 11:07:57 am by Big Monk »

Offline Sasha

• Brewer
« Reply #42 on: July 05, 2017, 11:21:34 am »
And you guys are ridiculous. I just found this thread where someone basically does the same thing I am doing, but they use a Red Star Yeast with no Ester specifics provided. It is just a "Red or White Wine Yeast".
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=14860

I got specifically White Wine Yeasts, meant to compliment Fruit and Apples specifically.

Offline Sasha

• Brewer
« Reply #43 on: July 05, 2017, 11:26:53 am »
Plus I am using Cider Yeast first, then 2nd stage fermenting like half of mine (in the bottles) to create bubbles. So I'll have a champagne version also.

Offline bayareabrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #44 on: July 05, 2017, 11:27:08 am »
And you guys are ridiculous. I just found this thread where someone basically does the same thing I am doing, but they use a Red Star Yeast with no Ester specifics provided. It is just a "Red or White Wine Yeast".
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=14860

I got specifically White Wine Yeasts, meant to compliment Fruit and Apples specifically.

sounds like you got it all figured out. Report back to us as to how it turns out my friend.