Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Lavender in a Saison  (Read 5433 times)

HopDen

Lavender in a Saison
« on: July 05, 2017, 10:35:45 am »
I'm going to make a saison and will influence with lavender flowers. I had a similar beer in Slippery Rock PA and loved it. Let me say that I am NOT a fan a lavender but in this beer it was killer! I'm looking for opinions on how to add said lavender. 15/2/flame out/primary/secondary or dry "hopped". Any and all comments welcome.

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Lavender in a Saison
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2017, 10:40:38 am »
Email the brewery that made the example you like. Even if they won't give you full details, they may give you tips.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2017, 11:55:40 am »
Less is absolutely more here.  How ever much you think you need, use 1/2. Too much and you've basically made perfume beer.  As Steve said, maybe the brewery can give you some guidance.
Jon H.

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2017, 10:38:09 am »
Lavender in the boil will give you more of a cinnamon flavor than the floral character you expect (especially when using the green parts of the plant). For the floral notes you want to steep in whirlpool or cooled below 180F after the boil (depending on your process) and maybe also add as a secondary ingredient.

0.25-1oz per five gallon batch is the common range. I would start low and add more if needed. Lavender can vary in intensity so build in some cushion in case you have some potent lavender.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

HopDen

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2017, 02:54:07 pm »
Update for anyone who is thinking about adding Lavender to a beer. I would do it again in a minute. I used a 1/2 ounce as suggested at flame out. Although I will experiment with another style of Belgium next time, maybe an Abbey. At first taste it is a bit heavy on the lavender but mellows with some O2 exposure or maybe it is just me. Never less, I think another round will do! Shout out to where I got the idea to use lavender in a beer goes to North Country Brewing in Slippery Rock, PA.

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2017, 08:13:00 am »
Shout out to where I got the idea to use lavender in a beer goes to North Country Brewing in Slippery Rock, PA.

Agreed. I have not had their lavender saison, but I did enjoy a line-up of their beers earlier this summer. Pretty tasty German Pils IIRC.

Offline Brotillery

• Cellarman
  • You had me at stainless
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2017, 11:17:15 pm »
I tried a lavender brown ale that had way too much lavender it has a almost soapy character to it when overdone so go light like the others said.

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2017, 08:40:15 am »
I tried a lavender brown ale that had way too much lavender it has a almost soapy character to it when overdone so go light like the others said.

Lavender is not soapy by itself but 99% of the application of lavender most people recognize is its use scenting soap. It's hard to break that association when you've only smelled lavender in soap and only thought of soap in your mouth as punishment for saying dirty things.

Using less lavender is usually a good way to keep the flavor ambiguously floral without triggering the soap association.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline Brotillery

• Cellarman
  • You had me at stainless
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2017, 05:47:12 pm »

Lavender is not soapy by itself but 99% of the application of lavender most people recognize is its use scenting soap. It's hard to break that association when you've only smelled lavender in soap and only thought of soap in your mouth as punishment for saying dirty things.

Using less lavender is usually a good way to keep the flavor ambiguously floral without triggering the soap association.
Ahh good point.