Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Closet cleaner Lager  (Read 2326 times)

Offline 802Chris

• Assistant Brewer
Closet cleaner Lager
« on: July 05, 2017, 10:39:14 am »
So this is what I came up with the night before last, I was looking to get rid of some grain leftover from previous bulk purchases and I did not have time to go buy anything at all from the HBS.

#3 Vienna (Briess)
#4 Briess 2 Row (1.8L)
#2 Marris Otter

1 OZ US Hallertaur 60
1 OZ US Hallertaur 5

Whirfloc etc

I hit a 1.052 OG on a 60 minute boil and lazy pitched two half full pint jars of 34/70 slurry @ 60. Will ramp to 65  tomorrow probably, maybe.

BeerSmith puts it at 4.3 SRM, which I would say is probably accurate based on what I saw in the hydrometer. We shall see how she goes... I guess I'll at least find out how shoddy I can get with lager brewing and still make a decent beer.

Offline JJeffers09

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Closet cleaner Lager
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2017, 09:03:46 pm »
I have been wanting to experiment with 34/70 at higher temps to see if I can discern any off flavors.  Call it a palate test, or what have you, however I feel like I could use a challenge.  I hope your enjoy your kitchen sink lager...  as long as it ferments you're doing better than drinking hams and natty-ice.
"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

AHA Member
Indiana Brewers Union (IBU)

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2017, 10:28:08 am »
I have been wanting to experiment with 34/70 at higher temps to see if I can discern any off flavors.  Call it a palate test, or what have you, however I feel like I could use a challenge.  I hope your enjoy your kitchen sink lager...  as long as it ferments you're doing better than drinking hams and natty-ice.

I've fermented several in the mid-60s. Tastes indistinguishable from the same yeast in the 50s or 40s.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

The Beerery

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2017, 10:31:46 am »

I've fermented several in the mid-60s. Tastes indistinguishable from the same yeast in the 50s or 40s.

I would argue that 34/70 is the most flavor neutral lager yeast there is as well.. So there is that!

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2017, 06:02:26 am »

Out of curiosity, what were your pitch temps for these? I've fermented this yeast in the low-mid 60's on many occasions, but I've always pitched it in the mid-upper 40's before ramping it up quickly even in those cases. I'm wondering whether that low pitch temp is really necessary, and I'm just doing it out of habit/old brewer's voodoo.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2017, 11:13:14 am »
Out of curiosity, what were your pitch temps for these? I've fermented this yeast in the low-mid 60's on many occasions, but I've always pitched it in the mid-upper 40's before ramping it up quickly even in those cases. I'm wondering whether that low pitch temp is really necessary, and I'm just doing it out of habit/old brewer's voodoo.

Low 60s and then let it come up to the mid-60s, which is what I normally do with American/English ale yeasts. I've done that both with dry yeast and harvested slurry.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline 802Chris

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2017, 12:33:15 pm »

FWIW I pitched at exactly 60. I let it sit for 48 and then to 63 for 24 hours, its now rolling along at 65 where it will stay for a week more. I will let you know how it turns out. I have pitched and kept it lower for longer as well as rocked it for 65 straight through. As long as it gets a good cold crash/fining/lager period, I haven't noticed a difference besides much slower lag time when pitching cold (under 58).

Offline 802Chris

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2017, 05:18:28 am »
For anyone who is wondering, this beer turned out fairly solid. It had an almost vinous/honey sweetness the first week on tap while it cleared. Then, almost overnight the white wine hints faded. It is now a brilliantly clear very light colored lager with a solid head. I have finally tasted the biscuit/nutty flavor people say they get from marris otter! I have always struggled to perceive it as anything more than a fuller mouthed pale malt. I have no idea how I would categorize this beer, except that it is like drinking a full flavored light lager with very nice complex nutty notes that leave it anything but one dimensional.

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Bloatarian Brewing League - Cincinnati, OH
    • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2017, 04:44:46 am »
Doesn't sound bad at all.  Nice job.

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."