Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Need help with RIS gravity  (Read 2363 times)

Offline Jeff

• 1st Kit
Re: Need help with RIS gravity
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2017, 01:08:28 pm »
I hesitated using it, but White Labs website said it could withstand up to 15% alcohol.  Maybe I should have used something more resilient.

Offline 69franx

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2017, 01:11:04 pm »
It can handle it, but when I am making something that big, I usually want a more pronounced yeast effect, rather than the ultra clean profile that I get from 001, so again, I do not think the yeast was the problem. What temps did you hold/use for fermentation? Can you hold the temp steady enough to eliminate big swings in wort temp?
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline Jeff

• 1st Kit
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2017, 01:13:40 pm »
Yeah, the temp has been right on 66-68 the entire fermentation.  I have a temperature controlled environment.

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2017, 01:28:49 pm »
The actual recipe will be important for everyone to see in order to give better advice.

For a beer that big you should also oxygenate very well at the outset.  Even a big pitch of yeast will need a lot of oxygen for a big beer.  That and maybe even some yeast nutrient, but those are for next time, not for now.

You could try warming the beer up and seeing if the yeast do anything more.  But again, you should really post the recipe because otherwise we're just throwing stuff at the wall.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline 69franx

« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2017, 01:34:07 pm »
As Joe said, oxygenation is a big key for big beers, with some on here suggesting a second dose of oxygenation about 12-24 hours after pitching. I have done this once and I did like my FG gravity better in a repeat brew, so just another point to consider with a big beer. Like Joe also said, for next time
Frank L.
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline Jeff

• 1st Kit
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2017, 09:09:24 pm »
Sorry it took me so long guys, but here is my recipe:

39lbs 10oz domestic 2 row
3lbs 8oz roasted barley
2lbs 6oz Special B Malt
1lb 12oz Chocolate Malt
1lb 2.5oz Cara-Pils

Also, I didn't do the second oxygenation at 12-24 hours, but I did do a healthy oxygen dose with pure oxygen and stone right before I pitched the yeast slurry.  I pitched 90% of the yeast slurry from a ten gallon 1.055 cream ale that I originally built a 3 liter starter from a liquid yeast pack.  Should have had plenty of yeast....is it possible I over-pitched?

I really appreciate all of the feedback you guys are giving me.  This is the first time I've brewed a beer above 1.080.  I've really tried to do my homework, but I've learned much more on this forum.

Offline 69franx

« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2017, 10:25:45 pm »
Now seeing this, pretty sure that the high level of non-fermentables caused your high FG. Not saying it's done, but that's a lot of roasted grain, approaching 20% with some quick math. An FFT would tell you if there is more to ferment. Pull a sample, maybe 6-10 oz and add a lot of yeast to that, maybe the other 10% you did not use and see if your gravity drops any further

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Frank L.