Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: What's your favorite type of beer?  (Read 6634 times)

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
Re: What's your favorite type of beer?
« Reply #30 on: July 08, 2017, 08:07:01 pm »
Free.

Aside from that, either dry stout or pils.
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.

Offline brewsumore

• Brewmaster
  • Spokane, WA
« Reply #31 on: July 08, 2017, 11:20:01 pm »
What with all the great, and new variety hops sold by the pound these days, I'm tending (trending?) to keep an IPA or 2 in the lineup (typically 4 or 5 taps) so as to learn new tastes and use what's been obsessively hoarded into the freezer.  Also, I only went to a kegerator about 6 years ago and since then have been able to lager more easily and so have been brewing more pilsners and other German lighter ale (kolsch, alt, hefe), and enjoying that tremendously.

I love many styles if the beer is made well.  I still enjoy Belgian styles and used to brew lots more of that, but often I forego big flavored, high alcohol beers for lower calorie, lower alcohol beers -- especially in spring and summer.  No surprise there.

I often just brew whatever I'm thirsty for, or want to try at the time, when getting low on inventory or thinking ahead to the next change in the weather.  I do tend to go back to English Pale, saison, and in the fall porter.

Offline danmouer@fastmail.fm

• 1st Kit
« Reply #32 on: July 09, 2017, 02:48:34 pm »
I began brewing in 1981 with the goal of learning to make English pale ale. After finally getting the chance to drive around parts of England drinking pub bitters in cask, that became my go-to everyday brew. My second-most common homebrew is one or another form of Belgian or French farmhouse ales. When I long for a lager, it's usually a Helles or Märzen/Oktoberfest I go for.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Offline David

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #33 on: July 09, 2017, 04:31:49 pm »
If you go by what I have made most, it would be an amber. I prefer blonde to amber, but enjoy browns and stouts as well. IPA if not too ridiculously hoppy. I really enjoy Hefeweizen as long as the banana and clove is kept to a minimum (Widmer Bros.)
“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.” -- Henry Ford

Offline watai0102

• 1st Kit
    • Shut off valve and Ball valve manufacturers from Vatacvalves.com
« Reply #34 on: July 09, 2017, 07:40:30 pm »
 I really like Dark Horse Crooked Tree India Pale Ale. Really I just like all IPAs. I'm also a big fan of most beers made by Rogue, especially the Mocha Porter.

Offline old.va.brewer

• 1st Kit
« Reply #35 on: July 09, 2017, 07:59:08 pm »
Must have malt flavor that you can taste with out being covered up by big hops or fruity flavors. Add some smoke malt and it's perfect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline GarretD

• Cellarman
« Reply #36 on: July 09, 2017, 11:05:57 pm »
I almost always have a IPA on tap year round. The other taps switch with the seasons. Brown ale in the fall, porters/stouts in the winter.. but I always have an IPA!
“You must love this country more than I love a cold beer on a hot Christmas morning.”-Homer J Simpson

Offline santoch

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Riverview, FL
« Reply #37 on: July 11, 2017, 07:28:52 pm »
It definitely depends on my mood & the weather.
For me, I like almost everything, so for me it's really a matter of what I DON'T like:

My least favorite style is American Amber.  They tend to be over-hopped, cloying crystal malt bombs to me.
I am not a fan of Light American Lagers, though believe it or not I actually prefer to judge light lagers of all types.  I am simply burnt out on IPA, so I tend to avoid them now.  I'll still enjoy one maybe once a month, but that's the limit on them for me.

Otherwise, Gueze, German Pils, Helles, APA, American/Oatmeal Stout, Vienna/Marzen, Flanders Red & Brown, Berliner Weiss, and Blonde Ale are high on my list, though I really do like just about everything.
Looking for a club near my new house
BJCP GM3/Mead Judge

Offline Westley

• Cellarman
« Reply #38 on: July 14, 2017, 06:39:38 pm »
Chocolate Stouts, and IPA for me. One Ton Trolley is an amazing beer!

« Last Edit: July 14, 2017, 06:54:33 pm by Westley »

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
« Reply #39 on: July 15, 2017, 01:37:23 am »
Trappist ale bottle conditioned with brett. The best of the two best worlds.
Frank P.

Staggering on the shoulders of giant dwarfs.

Offline secondbase

• 1st Kit
« Reply #40 on: August 10, 2017, 10:44:03 pm »
saison!!

Offline Stoneclone

• 1st Kit
« Reply #41 on: August 11, 2017, 01:07:45 pm »
Helles, Kolsch, Saison, IPA, and Belgian Triple are what I would have on tap all the time if I consistently brewed.
I like Marzen/Dark Lager and Stout/Porter in the winter.
So yes the one in my hand. I'm pretty sick of buying beer that is hardly average. Looking forward to a full tap list again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That Orange Julius is really good, but it's hot here and I'm voting classic Saison.

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk

Using Tapatalk