Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Cryo hop pellets  (Read 2350 times)

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
Cryo hop pellets
« on: July 06, 2017, 06:25:20 am »
Has anyone experimented with these yet? I have Citra, Equinox (sorry, I refuse to use the stupid new name) and Simcoe on order, and I plan to use it in my standard IPA recipe. I've read that you should use about half of your normal late/whirlpool/dry hop quantities for a similar results, but I've got a twitchy trigger finger and I'm tempted to push the limits right off the bat.

I'm also wondering what the alpha % is on these. I typically skip the early addition and get all my IBU's from a hot whirlpool. It will be interesting to see how the bitterness compares to a typical hop addition.

I'll post my feedback when I get around to using them. At some point I'll also have to do a side-by-side with the varietal hop shot to see which I prefer.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Cryo hop pellets
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2017, 09:10:51 am »
I've used cryo hops a fair bit and have more testing planned.  Most of mine are in the 22% alpha range.  I also have some debittered leaf but haven't had a chance to use that yet.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2017, 09:16:47 am »
We got some of the powder at NHC, Denny says the pellets are easier to use. Oh well.

I am brewing today, and was I the freezer a little while ago. From memory.
Loral =~19%
Mosaic=~22%
Equinox=~23%
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2017, 10:10:18 am »
We got some of the powder at NHC, Denny says the pellets are easier to use. Oh well.

Loral =~19%
Mosaic=~22%
Equinox=~23%

Jeff, reports from commercial brewers I've talked to are that if you use some "normal" pellets along with the powder it helps the powder drop.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2017, 10:18:26 am »

Loral =~19%
Mosaic=~22%
Equinox=~23%

Jeff, reports from commercial brewers I've talked to are that if you use some "normal" pellets along with the powder it helps the powder drop.

Thanks, will try that when I dry hop with those.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline Dave King

• Cellarman
    • BIER Website
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2017, 11:21:22 am »
I also got a pack of these hops at the NHC, Simcoe.  I dry hopped 3.5 gal. of an old (1.5 mo.) IPA with it, and I got a really nasty, harsh bitterness from it.  Time helps mellow it, but after a 2.5 weeks, it's still harsh.  I'm thinking oxidized beta acids, but that's a guess.  Anyone else find this?  Thanks. 
Dave King, President of BIER

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2017, 11:50:41 am »
I also got a pack of these hops at the NHC, Simcoe.  I dry hopped 3.5 gal. of an old (1.5 mo.) IPA with it, and I got a really nasty, harsh bitterness from it.  Time helps mellow it, but after a 2.5 weeks, it's still harsh.  I'm thinking oxidized beta acids, but that's a guess.  Anyone else find this?  Thanks.

Nope, haven't encountered that in several uses.

www.dennybrew.com

narvin

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2017, 02:53:27 pm »

When and where did you dry hop?  Did you crash cool to settle out the solids?